Part # confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at Filterbarn, if I type in PH8A or FL1A, I get a lot of options. Even though this is a common filter, Filterbarn for some reason doesn't have the Wix 51515, the Napa Gold 1515, the FL1A, or the Purolator L30001 listed. They do, however suggest the Napa 1521 and the Fram PH3651A as crossing to these numbers. It looks like the 1521 would fit, but it's a lot shorter than the 1515. Napa doesn't list it as an equivalent for the FL1A. The PH3651A apparently crosses to the Napa 1521.

Then it gets more interesting. According to Napa, there is a two-quart version of the 1515, the 1773, which it looks like would fit my truck, but I'm not sure if it's just longer with the same filtering element or what. Filterbarn does for some reason have the 1773, and for $3.11, which seems pretty cheap.

By this time you're thinking, "Hey, why does this matter? Just buy an FL1A and be done with it!." You're probably right, but if folks wanted to just leave well enough alone, why would this board exist?

You don't want the long #1773. It only filters down to 32 microns.

Part Number: 51773
UPC Number: 765809517738
Principal Application: Ford Trucks, Massey-Ferguson Tractors, Oliver Tractors, VW Eurovan (93-96)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 6.982
Outer Diameter Top: 3.663
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 290
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 32

Originally Posted By: Chris142

The "nominal rating" usually means the point it's only 50% efficient.

50% efficient at 32 microns is horrible.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yikes.

I haven't checked the filtration specs, but the Purolator L40316, Mahle OC105, MANN W9504 and the European Bosch 72191 are all compatible high-capacity filters.

It probably performs better than the spec's read due to the way it's tested. I think that under the same test protocol, it woulde show poorer than a filter of the same media after a certain threshold was breached.

That is, in a given piece of media there is a variance in pore distribution. Up to a certain point the reduced velocity would improve efficiency while at some other point point you end up with a bunch of larger pores that are going to get a proportionally larger share of flow.

Now whether this is the case or not idk, but if you look at some of the ratings on the bypass filters, it looks like they were subjected to the same test as a full flow and got odd results. Meaning that they were tested like a full flow at full flow rates, as opposed to the 1-3gpm design flow.

It would surely have some substantial holding capacity ...and always consider that no filter gives you the numbers on the box ..right out of the box. The live their life on a curve.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yikes.

Yea can you imagine what absolute(90%ish) rating would be would be?

Originally Posted By: rshunter
I haven't checked the filtration specs, but the Purolator L40316, Mahle OC105, MANN W9504 and the European Bosch 72191 are all compatible high-capacity filters.

OK, the Purolator l40316 shows a 36 psid relief valve setting as opposed to 8-16 psid on the l30001, so I'll probably skip that one. The Mann W950/4 also shows over 30 psid (2.5 bar) and crosses to the Mahle OC105, which I haven't been able to find specs on, so I guess they're not a direct replacement either.

On the Fram site, they list the PH977a which looks pretty good, and cross-references to the Purolator L40017 and the Baldwin BT217. Also the Wix 51459. I couldn't find any specs on the Fram, Purolator, or Baldwin, other than the relief psid which is around 8-11 psid, pretty close to the FL1A.

The Wix says it has a beta of 2/20=21/38. Nominal micron rating of 25. I'm not sure if that's good or not.

The Purolator l40017, Fram PH977a, and Baldwin BT217 are all available at Filterbarn for under 4 bucks, i.e., pretty cheap. Even if they have the same elements as their smaller counterparts, I figure they would at least have some supplemental cooling capacity.

It seems there is also a Motorcraft FL-299, which I also know nothing about.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back