Paranoia Has Its Limits as Gun Sales Slump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Life, health, liability, home, auto, and umbrella insurance pay after the fact. I have them all.

Assault insurance (cold blue steel) is much better. It pays immediately when needed.

Lol at the condescending tone of the post. I presume the snotty tone would be the same for someone getting earthquake insurance in New Madrid, or flood insurance in New Orleans. Or perhaps not. OP personality types, ignorant of others' circumstances, appear sanctimonious to many.

Originally Posted By: DoiInthanon
Life, health, liability, home, auto, and umbrella insurance pay after the fact. I have them all.

Assault insurance (cold blue steel) is much better. It pays immediately when needed.

Lol at the condescending tone of the post. I presume the snotty tone would be the same for someone getting earthquake insurance in New Madrid, or flood insurance in New Orleans. Or perhaps not. OP personality types, ignorant of others' circumstances, appear sanctimonious to many.

don't forget gas masks, a bunker and three years worth of canned goods.

"insurance ya know"

Originally Posted By: FXjohn

"insurance ya know"

No one but you has said anything about bunkers or food supplies. Fema suggests a safe room which can be built from insulated concrete forms. The department of homeland security suggests a 3 day water food supply. So what if some people stock more than three days, what does that matter to you?

I don't know who is more paranoid than those who want to take gun rights away from law abiding citizens.

When they call gun enthusiasts paranoid, I think they are engaged in the psychological phenomenon known as transference.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

No one but you has said anything about bunkers or food supplies. Fema suggests a safe room which can be built from insulated concrete forms. The department of homeland security suggests a 3 day water food supply. So what if some people stock more than three days, what does that matter to you?

He knows if anything serious happens he won't make it. He's jelly.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn

"insurance ya know"

While I own no guns, I do have quite a bit of food and water stored and necessary supplies in a bug out bag.

Guns are intrinsic to our freedom.

What insures that the food and water you have stored remain yours in a crisis?

What guarantees free speech?

What protects family and property?

Kool-aid drinkers assume government is the answer to these questions.

In a SHTF scenerio, Big Brother is not going to be there.

In fact, Big Brother may be part of the problem, not the solution.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

In an actual emergency you have a lot to fear from the government if you're prepared. Your stash, if known or easily discovered, will be confiscated and redistributed. And depending on severity maybe just redistributed to .gov and those connected.

Originally Posted By: hatt

[

In an actual emergency you have a lot to fear from the government if you're prepared. Your stash, if known or easily discovered, will be confiscated and redistributed. And depending on severity maybe just redistributed to .gov and those connected.

During katrina, the government confiscated guns door to door, leaving homeowners defenseless against looters.

Last edited:
As a 40 year gun owner, What concerns me about the latest gun rush, is that many non-gun owners were out buying them because it was the thing to do. Many of these people don't have adequate training, background, or common sense to be safe. This is based on people I am familiar with. I expect the used gun market will be flooded when these people (fad owners) decide that gun ownership is not for them. Lets hope thy go to the right hands. I'm also concerned about these people and accidents, then the media and the Gov't can point to them as to why gun ownership is bad. Maybe this is the plan?
The whole thing has gone a little more maistream than I'm comfortable with, and the manufacturers are more than willing to oblige.
I hope I'm wrong.

[

During katrina, the government confiscated guns door to door, leaving homeowners defenseless against looters.

That is DISGUSTING! Especially tackling that old lady. Must have made that guy feel real powerful.

JetStar the old timers were saying the same thing about you 40 years ago. Every new generation since civilization began was going to be the end of civilization, according to the previous generation.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: jhs914

I hunt and I go to the range 2-3 times a month. Like me, other gun enthusiasts enjoy shooting as a hobby, and there are millions of us. Bottom line, real gun enthusiasts aren't into panic buying, they just buy because they want to.

From the tone of your post I take it that you are not a gun enthusiast, so I thought you might appreciate a different perspective. Cheers.

+1

Thanks, you said it all...

A buddy of mine from Aus just posted this lovely piece on FB:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/05/nra-guns-second-amendment-106856.html#.U4IM9_mXZ8G

35.gif

Essentially parroting retired Chief Justice Warren Burger in his new book.

The author, a professor at NYU (that bastion of conservative thinking) is as wrong as Burger is, but his interpretation of the meaning of "well-regulated militia" fits their common world view: no individual right to gun ownership.

Yet, the individual right to gun ownership isn't something that the NRA concocted (as he contends), it's something that the Constitution confers with that Second Amendment.

It's interesting to me that the author laments the DC vs. Heller ruling from the Supreme Court, noting that the court follows public opinion...I'm not certain that I buy that...but if his point is that public opinion is in favor of gun ownership, then I would accept that...though he may lament this fact of American life.

It's interesting to me as well how the views on "militia" and the right to gun ownership vary with things like income and population density. Poll people in a place like New York, who have never owned or seen a gun, and they're opposed to the right, largely, I suspect because they fear what they don't understand. To them, guns are tools of criminals (even though the police are allowed to have them). To a rural less wealthy Vermonter, however, a gun is a tool for putting meat on the table. Something that they've grown up with, learned to respect, learned to use safely.

As we become more urban, more disconnected from our self-reliant roots, more affluent, we may see the public support for gun ownership decline. It is apparent to me that the majority of urban residents expect the city to provide all of their needs/services, including security and safety. Rural folks tend, again, to rely on themselves for needs.

In the meantime, you'll read inflammatory remarks from those, like FXjohn, who don't support gun rights, but they are logical constructs and fallacies that are built to support an inherently wrong preconception: there is no individual right to gun ownership.

In this country, that right does exist. Not in the minds of a few folks bent on political action, but enumerated in the Constitution, and believed by most of the people.

Last edited:
Amen
thumbsup2.gif

BTW, I've mentioned it before but my mom is one of those who doesn't understand gun ownership and subsequently fears it. Trying to reason with her is a complete waste of time (and why my father doesn't even try). My dad likes and grew up around firearms. He just (wisely) doesn't speak about them around my mother for the reasons noted; mainly that there is no reason(ing), simply unfounded fear.

JetStar the old timers were saying the same thing about you 40 years ago. Every new generation since civilization began was going to be the end of civilization, according to the previous generation.

I understand what you are saying, however I spend a lot of time learning from the old timers and am certainly glad I did.

Originally Posted By: JetStar

I understand what you are saying, however I spend a lot of time learning from the old timers and am certainly glad I did.
So did you nicely offer to help these new folks?

Paranoid? Not around here. NJ is rife with illogical and vague gun laws and the legislature continues to push for more. Christie has the 10 round mag limit on his desk right now. He may veto it, but that's just a temporary reprieve. Most gun owners would puke if they saw the list of proposed gun legislation in this god-awful state. Smart guns? No thanks.

I'm a law abiding citizen. Leave me alone! How about working on the real problems? Maybe this effort should go into turning the economy around so there is less incentive to commit crimes? Perhaps the money could go towards improved mental health care?

When the criminals and crazies decide to obey the law, you won't need any gun laws. All their crimes are already against the law. Since they don't obey the law, what good are more laws going to do? What is happening is like trying to treat a heart attack with a colostomy bag. It won't do anything, but at least it stinks.

So call me paranoid if you wish. The NJ legislature has proposed over 75 anti-gun bills in the last year or so. Some of which directly contradict others. Others actually reiterate laws that already exist, suggesting that the legislature doesn't even understand the current laws. It's not paranoid to be worried about a car jacking as you are being dragged from the front seat.

If you think it won't spread to where you live, think again.

The same PC people who want to ban guns and regulate gun ownership are the ones solely responsible for the problem in the first place.
These are the very same people who neutered law enforcement by claiming rousing street thugs and gangs is a violation of their civil rights.

Profiling is against someones civil rights, treating the mentally ill different is violating their civil rights.
They even go so far as to put nice sounding labels on mental illness so they wont be socially ostracized never mind locked up in an asylum.
Not to give a manic depressive or shell shock victim a gun permit or drivers license to operate a 4,000 pound weapon is against their civil rights.

I know and am good friends with a lot of cops, good guys who feel they cant do their job without fear of being accused of violating someones civil rights.
One of my best friends and best man got 4 rounds from a .45 shot at him from under a bed in a domestic dispute, he roughed the guy up a little so they claimed instead of blowing him away which he had every right to do.

To make a long story short this scum sued him and the department and while the suit was pending his good credit was shut down for over a year, he needed a car yet couldn't buy a stick of gum on credit.
This is what it has come to, now if they roust some joker with a hoodie and felony shoes they are profiling.

Now they fear that law abiding citizens may do what they have spent years trying to prevent the police from doing, defending themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back