Paper air filter vs K&N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silk
Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
This is for a motorcycle.

Nearly all the answers are about cars - don't these guys read, or do they just have to comment no matter what?

I have K&N's on 3 of my bikes. One is because the OE filter is not available (Moto Guzzi Stornello) I use one on my Honda TLR200 trials bike too, this is a performance modification, not because the OE filter is restrictive, but because the flame trap is. Much more throttle response in that slam the throttle open from a standstill to get up a vertical bank, rock, tree etc. Both these filters are from another bike that had carb modifications...different carbs that didn't fit the airbox. Just using what I have in the shed.

I also have a K&N on my BMW R65, this time because it was cheaper than OE. No performance or fuel economy increase, but I didn't expect to see that. It's been on for a couple of years and have monitored dust in the inlet tract - appears pretty clean to me.

Mutually inclusive.

Last edited:
I have a K&N in my car (my bike has the stock H-D filter in it) and I swear I can feel a little more response in the throttle when I first start accelerating at a light, etc. Might be the imaginary butt dyno effect, though.

Back in the 70's I lived in Phoenix, Ariz (dusty state) and my hopped up Kawasaki H1 ran K&N pods. That bike ruled the streets of Phoenix until a big bore Honda and hot Z1 in drag frames showed up
frown.gif
If poor filtration were to show it's ugly face it would be on the 2 cycle where everything goes straight to the crank. I put 60,000 miles on that bike and only needed rings to do so. Many AZ dirt bikes ran K&N's without engine damage, but those also had foam sleeves that must of helped on the dirters.

I would run K&N filters on my street bike before paying $$ on throw away paper filters. Keep the K&N clean and oiled, the bike will last longer than most people want to keep them.

You're lucky because K&N doesn't even offer a filter my Honda RC45... I had to make my own using a large truck filter

RC45KNfliter.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
You're lucky because K&N doesn't even offer a filter my Honda RC45... I had to make my own using a large truck filter

RC45KNfliter.JPG

Looks like it was designed for it.,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back