Paint vs powdercoat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm likely getting my summer wheels refinished in a darker color (ultra-aggressive pads and a no car washing policy at my condo). I'm not sure if I should get them powdercoated or just painted, though.

Would anyone care to explain the pros and cons of each finish on a set of car wheels?

It was my understanding that painting can be touched up later but isn't as durable in the short term. Powdercoating is sturdy but if you chip it you cannot fix it. It also tends to expose the flaws in the bare metal and can technically weaken the metal due to the heat.

Last edited:
Many motor cycle wheels are powder coated OEM and the finish is perfect over a decade later.Same with some wheels that are clear coated,both seem to be able to stand up well.
I think the quality and longevity of either depends as much on surface prep and who did the job as well the quality of the materials used.

It's my understanding that powder coating is a much more durable finished product.

If you have the capability to do it then I'd powdercoat the wheels rather than just paint them. Wheels serve their duty in a very harsh environment and it would make sense to use the best finish available. Hot brakes, brake dust, road tar and rocks that hit the finish,, etc. It's a jungle out there!
smile.gif

A lot of people advocated doing paint with a very thick clearcoat since it's far easier to fix blemishes. Paint tends to level-out since it is wet.

OK, I am sure you've gotten this on the Audi forums but why not change the pads to ceramic?

As with any finishing. The end result is only as good as the prep work that went into it.

That said, powder coating is much more durable when done right.

A great paint job (i.e. not you andd a buddy doing it in your garage) can look and perform great as well.

Most OEM wheels on todays cars and painted and clear coated.

So, done right, and taken care of, Paint will work for your application.

Powder coating would be nice, but you have to find a great shop to do it. And those shops will more than likely have to have your wheels for at least a week if not longer. That's a lot of down time if you do not have a spare set of wheels. . . .

Powder coating is very resistant to chemicals. Brake calipers are powder coated, which is why they resist brake fluid and overspray from chrome wheel cleaners. Brake fluid is a paint stripper, and chrome wheel cleaners are acidic which will dull paint and bare metals.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I'm likely getting my summer wheels refinished in a darker color (ultra-aggressive pads and a no car washing policy at my condo). I'm not sure if I should get them powdercoated or just painted, though.

Would anyone care to explain the pros and cons of each finish on a set of car wheels?

It was my understanding that painting can be touched up later but isn't as durable in the short term. Powdercoating is sturdy but if you chip it you cannot fix it. It also tends to expose the flaws in the bare metal and can technically weaken the metal due to the heat.

If you get a chip in powder coating, you can touch it up but the touch up obviously won't be as durable. It will be like regular paint

We used to have a wheel polishing and painting business.
To do it right. involves 10 times the work of just a cleaning and spraying
Powdercoating makes SURE you have to do it right - otherwise it won't work
It depends on the car/use. If you only want an ok/ decent job that will need touch ups, then you can just prep and paint with the tires on.

Originally Posted By: dparm
It also tends to expose the flaws in the bare metal and can technically weaken the metal due to the heat.

Which is why IF you are going to use these particular wheels for open tracking/HPDEs/etc., you should probably just do a good paint job on them.
(Even though many/most on here feel that it does not weaken the metallurgy of wheel alloys that much, better safe than sorry on a 130 mph straight, or braking hard for that hairpin at the end of it!
wink.gif
)

Street only use; powder coat away to one's heart's content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back