PACT Act/Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act of 2009 ("PACT Act") (S.1147) is scheduled for consideration by the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday, November 5th. This legislation contains, among other bad ideas, a provision which would make ALL cigarettes, RYO and smokeless tobacco products nonmailable. This bill has already been passed by the House, and if approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee, could be sent to the full Senate floor for a vote at any time!
By making all cigarettes, RYO and smokeless tobacco products nonmailable, this law means you will no longer be able to purchase these products by mail-order, telephone order, or on the Internet, because the United States Postal Service, along with UPS, Fed-Ex and all other carriers will be prohibited by law from delivering your orders to you. Taking away your options means forcing you back to buying over-priced tobacco products from your local retailer. However, you will also be limited to their selection, which in most cases is terrible, or if you even have a retailer. When they past the schip, a lot of retailers went belly up.

This bill was considered in committee on Nov 19, 2009. They recommended it be considered by the Senate as a whole. S.1147 was Placed on the Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 216. Thomas Library of Congress Link

Note that this bill is essentially the same as H.R. 1676: PACT Act which passed the House on May 21, 2009 with Bipartisan support. The totals were 397 Ayes, 11 Nays, 25 Present/Not Voting. H.R. 1676: Vote Details

Here's the CBO cost estimates for H.R. 1676: PACT Act

The Senate is on recess until Nov. 30, contact your senators NOW if you haven't yet done so. Contact information and reasons for them to vote NO on the PACT ACT can be found above.

I know a lot of you could care less about this, but my gosh, when is this going to stop. Tobacco has already been taxed by 2000% last year. Now, they are wanting to limit internet sales and transactions. What's next? This is a stepping stone and think, ANYTHING you can only get over the internet could be next. Please, save the anti tobacco bashing will ya???? Don't want to get kicked of here like I did with another topic that got "out of hand."

thats just wow... i dont smoke, never plan to, think its absolutely disgusting; however i feel bad for the people that do smoke as they just keep getting more and more taxes thrown at them. take taxes out of junk food for all i care.

Welcome to "change".
02.gif

This is just the start. This WILL pass without question. It "protects" everyone from evil tobacco.

Then it will be evil gasoline.

And of course evil guns.

And evil fast food.

I feel so safe....
happy2.gif

I have to thank the current President for my quitting of cigars. Up until a few months ago I occasionally smoked cigars for pleasure. I noticed the price of my favorite cigar had increased about 30%. When I was told that the President put a new 'tax' on cigars to pay for....(something that I can't rememeber but I'm thinking it was health care) I immediately QUIT. Thanks BHO.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Welcome to "change".
02.gif

This is just the start. This WILL pass without question. It "protects" everyone from evil tobacco.

And of course evil guns.

And evil fast food.

I feel so safe....
happy2.gif

I don't want to have the thread locked but I wish somebody would protect me from evil GOVERMENT

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Tobacco has already been taxed by 2000% last year.

I'm going to have to ask for clarification.

This doesn't even make sense. What is the goal here?

People who buy tobacco from catalogs and online have probably been using tobacco for quite some time. They are either very frequent users or connoisseurs. They aren't kids just starting out, and they are probably the group least likely to quit. Why go after them?

This isn't going to reduce the number of people who start using tobacco. You don't jump into ordering from a catalog. It's not going to reduce the number of 18 year olds getting it for the first time from a gas station, or the number of 16 year olds who buy it off the 18 year olds.

Pointless.

Also, a lot of "better" tobacco products are available only through mail order. Take for example, Swedish snus. It is a smokeless tobacco similar in concept to what we call dip in the US, but cured with a completely different process. This process leads to a significantly lower TSNA (cancer causing stuff) levels. Snus is believed to be much safer (though not completely safe, blah, blah) than American smokeless products. Snus is not widely available in retail stores the US, at least not good snus...Camel doesn't count. You have to order it. So much for that.

Last edited:
Cool! So one isn't as restricted/taxed in RYO tobacco as the 2000% figure would have you believe, but people can still complain about it! And the anti smoking guys can say we passed this 20x tax, we're looking out for the kids! If they're going to do something, may as well do it halfway.
smirk2.gif

I have to ask what's next, a "tobacco leaf flower bouquet" that you can dry yourself, cut up and smoke?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
This doesn't even make sense. What is the goal here?

People who buy tobacco from catalogs and online have probably been using tobacco for quite some time. They are either very frequent users or connoisseurs. They aren't kids just starting out, and they are probably the group least likely to quit. Why go after them?

Because these "evil" people are not paying their taxes.
This bill is to get taxable revenue, not to stop people from smoking, pure and simple.
If the government was here to protect people, tobacco would have been outlawed long ago.
The government claims tobacco kills, but they cannot live without the tobacco revenue. A nice Catch 22, huh?

Quote:
Pointless.

Not really. You've got a hooked generation, you squeeze them for what they're worth.

Gambling, alcohol, and tobacco are limitless cash cows. Not that they necessarily provide the revenue that they used to, but you can always hammer them mercilessly.

This tends to hurt the poor more than other taxes since all three elements tend to be present and contributing factors to being poor. Tobacco tends to be more of a co-present item with the other two.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Welcome to "change".
02.gif

And of course evil guns.

And evil fast food.

I feel so safe....
happy2.gif

The way I feel about it is ... if it helps the environment, I'm all for it. Some parts of the change I may not agree with, but most I do agree with.

Too few people in the USA REALLY care about the environment. They want to be able to pollute as much as they want to, when they want to.
49.gif

IQ smoking 24 years ago and would never go back, and I really don't care what happens to cigarette laws. If I could go back to being a kid again, I'd never THINK about smoking a cigarette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back