P1345 codes and rough idle at cold startup issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE: Ever since replacing that torn hose about a month ago, I didn't notice any further rough idle, although I did not let the car sit for multiple days either.

Fast forward to today. I drove the car for about 15 minutes. Shut it down. Restarted it 15 mins later. Engine was running smooth, but car was blowing a ton of whitish, maybe slightly bluish, stinky smoke from the exhaust. I drove it for about 5 mins with the smoke continuing to blow like this. No check engine light. Parked it for an hour. Started it again - no more smoke. I drove back home for about 20 minutes - no smoke.

Originally Posted by Audios
Not trying to scare you, but this is exactly the symptoms I had with my bad head/gasket in my 05 X3.

Would a bad head gasket explain what I just described above? Why did it stop smoking after sitting for an hour?

Anyway, I'm taking it into the shop at the end of the month and let them figure it out. Hopefully the repairs won't be cost prohibitive on such an old car.

Does the car use coolant? Did the smoke have a burnt oil type smell or was it something else? Coolant burning has a very very distinct smell.

Originally Posted by mattd
Does the car use coolant?
It does, but very little. It always has. But this smoke from exhaust is new.

Did the smoke have a burnt oil type smell or was it something else? Coolant burning has a very very distinct smell.

It had a burnt smell, but whether it was burnt oil or burnt coolant, I wouldn't know the difference.

I have to add about half a quart couple of times a year.

My UOAs never showed any traces of coolant presence, but then again, it's been a while since I had a UOA done.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I have to add about half a quart couple of times a year.

My UOAs never showed any traces of coolant presence, but then again, it's been a while since I had a UOA done.

Have you tried asking Andreas and https://bmwtechnician.com

I have the same engine in my 2004 530i with 230,000 miles now. I've done all of the maintenance on this car since I bought it with 70,000 miles, so I'm quite familiar with it. If it were mine, I would drive it for a while since you recently fixed that small vacuum hose and see if that maybe clears up some carbon buildup that may have accumulated while the car was running rough. If it winds up to be a cracked head or something, the engine will be toast anyway, but hopefully running it for a while would clear it up - Italian tuneup style. Just a thought.

Head gasket or cracks in the head near the combustion chamber leaks usually don't come and go. Get a can of Berrymans Chemtool and a bottle of Redline SI-1, run them with a full tank of fuel, you may have an injector sticking slightly on shut down, engine off one may leak down slightly until pressure in the rail drop then it stops but has dumped a bit of raw fuel in that cylinder, that will cause smoke.
The 2 product address different types of deposits.

Originally Posted by Trav
Get a can of Berrymans Chemtool and a bottle of Redline SI-1, run them with a full tank of fuel,

Both products in the same tank, or two separate tanks?

Run the Chemtool first, the Redline has a injector lubricant in it so you want to keep that in place as long as possible. If it works out run a few ounces of Redline every full tank to keep them in good shape. In reality it probably doesn't matter but might as well give it the best shot.
The worst thing that could happen is you spend $20 get the injectors a bit cleaner or that was the issue and its cleared. Win win in my book.

Last edited:
Thanks.

The reason I asked is because it takes me 1.5 months to burn through a tank of gas. I dont drive much.

That could explain a injector sticking slightly too, especially the old style like this one uses. A few ounces of the Redline in ever tank should help with that if that's what happening.
I start with the cheapest thing that comes to mind that makes sense, not always right but why start with expensive parts first if its not 100% diagnosed as bad eg head or HG.

Another update: I've been running the Berryman Chemtool in the tank for the past week or so - burned through maybe a quarter tank during that time. It seems like the smoke now mainly shows up for a short time right after cold start up, and after that it goes away. Is that an indication of anything?

I'm scheduled to take it into the shop in about a week to see what they uncover.

FYI, the shop did various pressure tests. They ruled out the head gasket. At this point, CCV is a potential culprit, but no certainty on that.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Another update: I've been running the Berryman Chemtool in the tank for the past week or so - burned through maybe a quarter tank during that time. It seems like the smoke now mainly shows up for a short time right after cold start up, and after that it goes away. Is that an indication of anything?

I'm scheduled to take it into the shop in about a week to see what they uncover.

It sounds like its moving in the right direction. A quarter tank is not enough, run it longer before replacing anything.

May I recommend when you pickup kids to text wife "Back in 2 hours", then go up on a highway and run it in 3rd?

Even my lowly stock Toyota Yaris, driven usually 20 miles on a highway, change behavior after an 1,800 miles, some over the Smokies...

Originally Posted by pandus13
May I recommend when you pickup kids to text wife "Back in 2 hours", then go up on a highway and run it in 3rd?

LOL!

Not interested in spending this much extra gas just to counter this issue.

Besides, I don't pick up kids. I drop them off in the morning, which means I'm trying to get to work ASAP. I wish I could just go driving for a few hours instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back