P1 14612, Wix 1348, Toyota 04152-YZZA6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got around to opening these up. All three are very different filters obviously. I'm still impressed with the Purolator 14612 and will continue to use it on the Subaru.... excellently constructed, lots of media and tight even pleats. It held a substantial amount of oil inside it while it sat upside down for over a month indicating a well designed ADBV. Have I mentioned how much I like this filter??!!
grin.gif
Factor in that I got a new stash of these for $3 a filter at AAP and they are dreamy:

2010_11_14%20069%20%28Small%29.jpg

2010_11_14%20071%20%28Small%29.jpg

2010_11_14%20072%20%28Small%29.jpg

A lot of people like the 'bigger is better' theory. This is a filter that would challenge that theory. Second to none other than the Tokyo Roki's, of which I have only 1 left
frown.gif

Next up is the Wix 1348 off my parents Saturn. If you'll recall I was the one that posted the Ecore 'Shocker' thread where I had an ecore blow out and ecore lovers came out to find any reason why this would happen... coolant, moisture, alien intervention... Anyway.. the Wix is a great filter and came out perfectly. I have one more Wix on the Saturn now and a stash of Purolators waiting afterwards.

2010_11_14%20075%20%28Small%29.jpg

2010_11_14%20076%20%28Small%29.jpg

2010_11_14%20077%20%28Small%29.jpg

Lastly the cartridge style filter that came off my Corolla. This was the OEM filter from the factory. Excellent filter, sturdy, tight strong pleats, this is how an ecore SHOULD BE CONSTRUCTED:

2010_11_14%20073%20%28Small%29.jpg

2010_11_14%20074%20%28Small%29.jpg

Interestingly, this was my first experience with a filter off a new car during break in. You could clearly see metal chunks of glitter and debris deep in the pleats of this filter. Makes me happy I changed out the FF early... probably didn't need to since the filter did its' job! But there is no mistaking a 'break in' period happened with all that material in there.

Originally Posted By: daman
They look a little better then your escraps and FRAM-o-deaths huh??

Sure do! All three came out in great shape.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: daman
They look a little better then your escraps and FRAM-o-deaths huh??

Sure do! All three came out in great shape.

Stick with quality and get quality results.

they look great web
thumbsup2.gif

I've been really impressed with the build quality of the Quaker State (Purolator) filter's I've cut so far. Wish I could get some data on how well they perform.

Is there an inner cage that cartridge filter fits around? I don't have any personal experience with them, but I think they are a great idea in general.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
Is there an inner cage that cartridge filter fits around? I don't have any personal experience with them, but I think they are a great idea in general.

No inner cage.. just tightly pleated filter media gives the filter it's strength.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: Virtuoso

No inner cage.. just tightly pleated filter media gives the filter it's strength.

I wanted to correct this post. Since I only recently opened up the cartridge style filter myself to look inside, there is indeed a full metal center tube that is permanent inside the cartridge cap. You slide the new filter over the center tube and snaps right into place. Best of both worlds!

They look great. The cartridge filter looks just like the Toyota/Denso spin-ons the dealer sells, minus the can and endcaps.

I use the Wix 51348/Napa Gold 1348, so I like seeing one cut open finally. I may go with the P1 equivalent since it's possible to obtain cheaper than the Wix/NG.

Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back