P1 14610 design change

Status
Not open for further replies.
With reference to the other recent thread on Purolator (the "bought out" one), http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=003708

I went to stock up for my cars, and noticed that the 14610 for the Honda now has a spiralled inner sleeve, which I take to be a design improvement, however modest, although it still does not reach all the way back to the end of the media. None of the others I looked at (14477, 14476, 20252, didn't have much time) had any noticeable changes.

Has anyone else seen this? I wonder how new it is, and what other changes there could be.

Also with reference to that other thread, all of the boxes say U.S.A made.

Yes, that's right. And on closer inspection, the media is blue like the P1 air filters rather than light brown or beige like the one I still have that I bought a few months ago. No such change in the 14477s. What do you make of these changes?

I am pretty sure that this is the filter I have been using on my 3.5L VQ's...

Sounds like an improvement to me!

Additionally, I would say the change in media ^may^ signify a better media. I am no expert, but my two cents.

I looked at a few PP filters today including the 14610,14476 and the 14477...they all had the spiral inner sleeve....what is the benefit of this design....??

Even the Pro Line 14476 at Pep Boys had the spiral...on one of the 14610's the spiral sleeve moved up and down from the bottom of the filter to the top...I don't think that is a good thing
spaz.gif

Also looking at a non spiral 14477 and a spiral one, there is way more exposed media in the spiral one than the old design..on the new design you'd be lucky to sy that the metal spiral comes half way leaving half the media exposed..pluses or minuses of that design??
confused.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

I wouldn't worry about the center tube not reaching both ends. The 14610 filter has been like that for many years.

Goose,
Maybe they designed the center tube to move up & down for better oil flow through the media ?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back