P0430

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this yesterday for bad bank 2 cat. Of course I reset it.
Bank 2 has one of those cheapie $100 cats the sheriff's office installed at some point, so Im not surprised its bad again already. (No hard feeling about that. It got them through the rest of their usage of the car.)
I wanted confirmation, so I broke out the bluetooth adapter and ForScan to get some data. I wanted to compare bank 1 and bank 2
Top in Sensor 1, Pre cat
Middle is Sensor 2 Post cat
Bottom is RPM. I tested it at idle and 1500RPM
The images are clickable to bring up full size.
Bank 1 (OK)

Bank 2 (Failed)

IMO I think they are both bad, just the bank 1 200k mile OE cat is marginally less so.

I was going to buy the magnaflow direct fit cat. Yay/Nay. OE cats basically don't exist I think for something this old, so don't go there. I looked for NOS parts on ebay and did find a bank 1 OE Ford cat for a super good price, but I need bank 2.
Also, do you think its worth doing bank 1 as well?

Last edited:
On something like this where OE is not available or outrageously priced I would just hollow them out and use extenders on the post sensors. End of problem.
Edit: You can also get a tune for an export model with cat delete.

Last edited:
Yeah, Ive thought about that too.
I have tuning capability, so the tune thing would literally take me about 30 seconds on the computer to turn the rear O2s off and about 2 minutes to upload it into the PCM.

Last edited:
You don't have to turn off the rear O2 sensors, Just set P0420 & P0430 to "No Error Reported" & Un-check the "MIL Enable" box.......Or however your tuning software is set-up.

If you have to pass OBD emissions test......The above will still allow the Catalyst Test to run, But not set codes.

Any need to hollow out the cat? I thought they didn't plug up like they used to. Less work to leave in place, and just put on O2 extenders.

They plug, melt, break apart and fill the muffler all sorts of stuff. Your right about the old pellet style ones, melting was normal for them, dealers even stocked refill pellets for them that you could make book time on by sucking them in with a shop vac but the later honey comb ceramic and metal ones are not totally exempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back