P vs. LT truck tires, need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to ask the tire guys here to help me decide on a purchase. I know the difference between P and LT tires.

So, I am buying a set of Michelins in size 245-75-16 for my daughters half-ton 2000 Chevy Silverado. This truck will be used as a commuter car to and from college 99+% of the time. On a RARE occasion, maybe 1-2 times a year will it haul anything or tow.

The P tires are about $50 cheaper and offer a smoother ride. Would these be OK to use? I ask because I have never had P tires on this truck before. Thanks for your advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with the p tires. Better ride and a tiny bit better mileage. If your not really hauling anything there's absolutely no benefit using LT tires other then they might last just a little bit longer. Had p tires on my truck they did just fine, have lts right now and hate them.

Last edited by a moderator:
LT tires handle damage a lot better. They won't die to potholes or sidewall scrapes nearly as easily as P tires. Just something to consider.

In SE Texas he probably doesn't have to worry about potholes. I votes P tires. I ran them on a Dodge 1500 for 50,000 miles with zero problems and I was towing a lot.

More important is what does the placard in the door say was the stock tire?

If it was a P-series tire, I'd put those on with no hesitation for the use you describe.

If it was an LT-series tire, then stick with that.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
More important is what does the placard in the door say was the stock tire?

If it was a P-series tire, I'd put those on with no hesitation for the use you describe.

If it was an LT-series tire, then stick with that.

The only way to go.

Yes - Check the door placcard. However, it's a truck, I'd run LT 245/75R16 without thinking twice. I'd be afraid of P-Rated tires when doing any towing in the hot weather.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Yes - Check the door placcard. However, it's a truck, I'd run LT 245/75R16 without thinking twice. I'd be afraid of P-Rated tires when doing any towing in the hot weather.

If the manufacturer put p-rated tires on it from the factory (and they did)... wouldn't they be opening themselves up for lawsuit after lawsuit if it wasn't safe?

Don't let your feelings get in the way of logic.

Tirerack.com shows either P235/75-16 or P255/70-16 as the original tire size for a 2wd Silverado 1500. I'd get whichever is shown on the truck placard. P truck tires (including the Michelin LTX series) are the right tires for this truck.

1500 Silvys spec'd P-metrics, usually. The 1500HD spec'd LT's, but that's basically a downbadged 2500. (IIRC, it had 8-lug wheels!)

Originally Posted By: Miller88

You shouldnt be. Where I live is hotter then 7 hades in the summer. My last 3 trucks had nothing but the door placard specified P metrics on them, all towed often during summer (year round really) and never had any problems, premature wear out, bursting, tread seperation, etc etc. Im not going to compromise ride quality on a truck that specifies P metric tires, just because LT tires give me belly tickles.

Originally Posted By: buck91
What was the truck specs originally? My door sticker listed p-metric so that is what I replaced them with.

No placard in either door jamb. When I bought it, it had the LT 245-75-16's on, so I just continued with that size through the years.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
No placard in either door jamb. When I bought it, it had the LT 245-75-16's on, so I just continued with that size through the years.

You might also try the door itself or the glove box.

But according to Tire Guides, a 2000 Chevy Sliverado 1/2 ton (1500) came with ...... well there are a variety of tire sizes, and even the 4X4 came with P type tires: P245/75R16 was one of those.

That truck probably came with P's from the factory. Look at the spare it might be original.

Last edited:
No luck finding a placard, and the spare is not original. So, based on Capris Tire Guides info, I think I will go with the P, since daughter will commute 99%+ of the time.

If the 2000 4x4 used P, I think I can too.

Thank you all for the great info and suggestions you all shared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back