oversize filter for 03' civic, with 1.7 4cyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a oversize filter or bigger filter for my 03' civic that would hold little more oil? Did'nt SAYJAC use a ph 2808 or L 14459 filter for a bit? Thanks in advance guys. I was wondering if a Motorcraft 820 filter would fit.

adam

Wix has a filter that is bigger than the Purolator 14459. I think the WIX is 1344.

That D17 engine in your Civic is one the best ones Honda ever built.

PL14610 has more media. Its rated for 99% @ 40 microns. PL14459 is the older style , rated at 99% @ 20 microns. They are both interchangeable on most of the models according to Honda TSB that I read. Apparently I can use either on my Acura. I like the higher capacity and better filtration of 14459 better.

Carquest Blue line 85334 is a Wix clone ( made by Affinia ) and is an excellent quality filter as well.

What you need is this : http://www.handa-accessories.com/civmaint01.html

Click on the picture of the filter to see the inside element.

Last edited:
Yes the 14459 and it's equivalents will fit on the 03 Civic. In the case of the STP, I chose the S2808 because STP has no 14610/7317 equivalent, only the smaller 14612/6607(shorty) size.

In the Purolator the 14610 actually has a bit more media than the 14459, though the latter is, somewhat mysteriously, rated at 20um as opposed to 40um for the former.

The one thing the larger filter does do is provide a bit more engine oil capacity to a relatively small oil fill capacity, ~3.7qts. At least in the Purolator, the trade off is more oil capacity and rated efficiency vs more media for the spec 14610. The latter also tends to have more uniform tighter pleating than the larger 14459.

As for the Wix equivalents, one needs to keep in mind that though there may be a larger looking can, thread end bypass takes up a lot of space so outside looks are deceiving. Many have been posted here with some relatively small media area.

I've run the larger 14459 size many times, in fact since mine is an 01, first year for the 14610/7317 size, all the dealer sold and used for some time was the larger size Honda filter. The L14459 should be ok, but at least in the Purolator I don't think you gain much over the spec 14610.

Originally Posted By: bourne
PL14610 has more media. Its rated for 99% @ 40 microns. PL14459 is the older style , rated at 99% @ 20 microns. They are both interchangeable on most of the models according to Honda TSB that I read. Apparently I can use either on my Acura. I like the higher capacity and better filtration of 14459 better.

Since the 14459 has less media area, I wouldn't conclude that it has a higher capacity to hold crud (ie, "holding capacity") - if that's the kind of "capacity" you were referring to. It does have better filtration performance.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Since the 14459 has less media area, I wouldn't conclude that it has a higher capacity to hold crud (ie, "holding capacity") - if that's the kind of "capacity" you were referring to. It does have better filtration performance.

I was referring to the raw amount of oil the filter can hold at one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back