Other people's tools, a rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm doing some work for a neighbor at his home. He has a table saw, a much nicer one than mine and it has a soft start feature, I've used it before but not since early March, and I need it today.

So I clean all the stuff off the top, blow it off, plug it in, flip it on and the blade spins about 20 degrees and stops

I turn the power off, unplug it and inspect. The saw blade appears to be half submerged in dust and chips. I flip the saw on its side, remove the access cover. Ugh. Must have been a 3 dozen slivers of wood, cuttings less than 1/8" wide that slipped between the blade and the foot. To top it all off, hardened to concrete consistency, mud dauber nests. And a gallon of congealed sawdust from wet treated wood. I view up by the motor shows all its vents were submerged in sawdust, in fact the whole area and all tilting, raising and lowering mechanisms are just caked in compacted hardened sawdust and woodchips.
I spend a good half hour cleaning the whole saw up with compressed air and various bristle brushes. I'm kind of angry now as I could have probably gotten my own table saw and finished by now. I keep all the wood slivers which had caused the initial logjam as evidence.

I plug it in, turn it on and nothing. I take a thin pine 3 foot long stick, and spin the blade manually with the power on, and the saw kicks on and fires up to full speed, and it is now making this buzzing/ fried grinding bearing type noise and just smells wrong.

Later he comes home and I showed him how his Table saw motor is now fried, and all completely caused by human error. He responds 'who would have though one needed to occasionally inspect and clean a tablesaw to keep it from burning out?' Umm , any half competent carpenter ? How can one not hear the chips rubbing on and slowing the blade. Who would keep cutting things when the blade is not free to spin?

It ruined my day and all further progress.

Bugs me further as they often hire this lesser carpenter to do lesser tasks, and he is a nice guy, but a butcher of a carpenter with no foresight, and has taken a good amount of work from me this year and done a shoddy job on a lot of their stuff. The type of guy who goes through the motions but does not understand the desired result of the motions. Well intentioned and a hard worker, a good helper, but not very bright. Good with concrete and gardening, but when I see this guy unloading lumber, I just don't get it. I know what they pay him, it is about 60% of what I charge, but I take the same or less time for the task and it comes out right and built to last, and I don't freaking ruin their tools in the process.

I borrowed my brother in laws router once and one part on it must of been on its last legs, and broke as soon as I tried to use it. Fortunately, with my metal machining shop in the cellar, I was able to fix it in a way that it is now much better than the original design.

BTW, it sounds like you were fortunate in that the neighbor did not take any attitude leaning on blaming you for the saws motor problem. There are individuals that blow up at any convenient person regarding anything when something goes wrong.

My neighbor is a good guy. He always tells me I can borrow any tool he has, even for my own projects. I appreciate the work, and usually I'll use only my own tools as I am more familiar with them and if I break them, they are mine, and I don't have to buy somebody else a new tool to replace one with miles of use and abuse on it.

It is irritating to me to see a quality tool just abused through ineptness or ignorance. His other cheaper carpenter is responsible for burning out this table saw. The wood which started the logjam was directly identifible to tasks he had completed, possibly with some assistance by the neighbor himself.

I lectured both of them on this table saw abuse and was fully exasperated that they both were in the "that shouldn't happen" camp instead of the 'Wow I screwed up through ignorance of this becoming/being an issue' camp. They thought because it was a good saw brand that all you ever do is turn it on and push some lumber through it willy nilly.

I will likely be the one to replace the motor for him. I might remove the plate portion designed to funnel/exhaust dust out the back and just let it drop below as it will obviously happen again otherwise.

I'm still trying to figure out why the hired carpenter was using your neighbor's
table saw. What kind of carpenter uses his customer's machinery to do a job?

This particular customer has a pretty loaded yet highly unorganized workshop. I covet the quality of some of his tools, and it is hard to see them disrespected/abused, and the absolute disorganization of everything.

The other carpenter has no table saw, or chop saw, and is the type to not use his own tools lest he damage them or dull his own blades. He is the type to run a lithion ion battery to stall rather than grab a fresh one as getting that last screw in is more important than not killing the battery. I even point this in the Spanish directions, but it does not penetrate.

I'll be dragging my trusty if imprecise Makita TS over there in the morning. I should have just done that today rather than obsess over the condition his formerly beautiful saw was in.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
This particular customer has a pretty loaded yet highly unorganized workshop. I covet the quality of some of his tools, and it is hard to see them disrespected/abused, and the absolute disorganization of everything.

The other carpenter has no table saw, or chop saw, and is the type to not use his own tools lest he damage them or dull his own blades. He is the type to run a lithion ion battery to stall rather than grab a fresh one as getting that last screw in is more important than not killing the battery. I even point this in the Spanish directions, but it does not penetrate.

I'll be dragging my trusty if imprecise Makita TS over there in the morning. I should have just done that today rather than obsess over the condition his formerly beautiful saw was in.

I know what you mean. Before I bought my own rototiller I had to borrow my Grandfather's tiller. It is only a couple years old but it was neglected. The air filter and shrouds had mouse nests, the oil was low and black, and there was twine tangled around the tines. I cleaned out the mouse nests, changed the oil, and cleaned up the tines. He was impressed it looked and worked like new when I gave it back, but I couldn't stand to see equipment neglected like that.

There are always issues with loaning and borrowing tools. Obviously they are not all that picky with the work being done so they give him some work. I for one, want things done right and would pay to have a good carpenter do it right. Especially with expensive items like doors & windows.

"The mistakes of the fool are known to the world, but not to himself. The mistakes of the wise man are known to himself, but not to the world."
Charles Caleb Colton

Yep....I understand completely being a fellow tool user. I know one guy who has a nice, large shop full of mostly quality tools...that's a mess. It was a puzzle why he rarely used them. Then I realized he just hoards them.

I know another guy who bought a brand new Jet 6" jointer. Before I could use it, I had to clean all the rust off the beds and align them. Last time I saw it more rust had taken over. Saddens me to see it like that. What a waste. Unfortunately I don't have room for one.

Your neighbors saw sounds like it's one of the newer hybrid types? With a pan close to the blade? Mine's the traditional kind with an open bottom and the motor hanging out of the back. He might have been saved by such a design actually. Because the crud slowed down the motor instead of flinging any slivers right at him with considerable force.

Table saws, like aviation, are inherently unforgiving of human errors.

I'm a journeyman carpenter and self employed so I know the situation you're in. Lowballers make me laugh and the people who accept their quotes make me laugh harder because by the time the job is finished the customer ends up paying double the highest quote received and ends up with enough stress to cause a coronary.
You get what you pay for. Quality workmanship costs money. Hire a hack and expect shoddy,disorganized and incomplete work.
Or you can hire a professional. Yes the pro demands more money however for that extra money you get a top notch product that is perfect,not acceptable. There is a difference.

My Dad always taught me - "return tools in better condition than you found them". It's good advice, and has served me well.

Originally Posted By: NJC
My Dad always taught me - "return tools in better condition than you found them". It's good advice, and has served me well.

Now that's good policy.....

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
It's the very reason I don't borrow tools nor do I loan them. I had to learn that the hard way.
^ This

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back