Oriellys microguard MGL2 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came off truck this last monday..Truck has 235k on it and engine....engine has never had anything done to it except oil/filter changes and 1 complete set of spark plugs and all 8 coils(cop)..engine runs beautiful...2004 f250 5.4 2v...service truck...lots of towing and abuse...been on steady diet of conventional 10w30 and whatever filters oriellys had on sale at the time since 97k...this filter/oil has approx 6300 miles on it...obviously its a champ/fram/rank ecore....

That is one dirty filter, but the old e-core looks like it did it's job.

I think I'd shorten my oci if I were you. My guess is this engine does a lot of idling too.

Diesel engine? Lots of crud caught in that filter. Notice how thick the fiber end caps are on this filter. Helps keep them flat and ridged.

Gas 5.4 2v....yeah the black stuff in the bottom of the can and on the spring is kinda funky..touch it and it feels like nothing like a wet powder feel to it but not gritty/metallic at all...filter is basically vertical with about a 20 degree tilt....

The filter is good, it does its job well. The oil and possibly the engine is in bad shape. I would reduce the next 2-3 OCI's down to 5k with semi-syn oil.

Talk about some funky pleat spacing, second media pic is rather unique to put kindly. But as long as it didn't breach, doesn't matter. Pretty nasty looking though, but looks like the filter did it's job.

An ecore that held up to some obvious stress quite well. It does look to me like the one pleat in the second pic broke free at the top and shifted, you can see the mark where it had been previously if you look closely. Still not what I'd call an "epic failure" but I wouldn't push this filter any farther and would likely change it sooner in the future.

Microgards are different now this one is older current offering are Wix made entry level filters.

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!

Glad to see that held up so well. I have an ecore microguard on my 2.2 since December. Should be removing it in a month or so. It replaced a purolator classic that caused start up noise after only 2 mos.

That filter sure had a work out on try to filter that oil.....makes one wonder if the bypass valve was open full time or just most of the time.

Yeah, it's got some sludge. Towing and Texas heat make the 10W-30 a wise choice. I'd switch over to a semi-synthetic hi mileage oil personally, but those Ford 2v V8's are hard to kill. A few 3k OCIs might take the edge off it.

Ya think its a little dark and maybe a little varnishy but not really "sludgy" imho... doesnt bother me much.....gonna shorten the oci some....other than that i think its ok for the miles and abuse its put through....this thing tows a 16' trailer with 990 gallons of liquid on it..plus..tool boxes..parts..drums in bed...liftgate etc....has been across a truck stop scale at little over 21k gvw more than once...truck it rated for 18k gcvw ...texas dps officer told me that once
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: DSparks
has been across a truck stop scale at little over 21k gvw more than once...truck it rated for 18k gcvw ...texas dps officer told me that once
smile.gif

The manufacturer is required by law, or in the case of incomplete vehicles, the final manufacturer, to post the GVWR on a sticker, accessible to the end user, usually on the driver's side door pillar.

So why do you need a Texas DPS officer to tell you that? I wouldn't brag about risking the safety of others on the road while driving your vehicle overweight. Great way to open your company up to expensive lawsuits should anything bad happen, even a minor fender bender.

Is it just me or does that second picture look like the right side of the filter is lined with gelatin/sludge/goo?

The engine might still be OK, and I'm not criticizing the oil filter quality at all, but if I had a filter like that I'd be upgrading everything- filter, oil to synthetic, shorter OCI.

I would also be taking a close look at the PCV, for vacuum leaks or other air filtration issues. It may not be gritty but that "wet powder" stuff has to come from somewhere!

The new iteration of Microguards by Wix will probably do much better than this FRAM/Champion e-core version.

They are probably one of the best filter bargains, along with NAPA Silver, out there.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
The new iteration of Microguards by Wix will probably do much better than this FRAM/Champion e-core version.

They are probably one of the best filter bargains, along with NAPA Silver, out there.

Agreed.
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back