O'Reilly Syn 5w30 5836mi 2007 Kia Rondo 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back my latest oil analysis from Holt Cat in San Antonio. This OCI was run using the O'Reilly Full Synthetic 5w30 that I got on special, and an OEM oil filter. OCI had about a 2K mile round trip to Santa Fe, but otherwise 90% city driving, with lots of 2 mile trips from home to work. Oil was in service from May to September of this year with mainly weather in the 90s and 100s.

Cu 2
Fe 6
Cr 1
Al 3
Pb 0
Sn 0
Si 11
Na 209
K 1
B 2
Mo 9
Ca 1703
Mg 14
Zn 650
P 567

ST 0
OXI 18
NIT 12
SUL 24
W N
A N
F N
V100 10.2
TBN 3.0

Pretty happy with this, this oil did better than the last 6250 mile OCI with QSHP. Fe, Al and Cr were all cut in half or more with the O'Reilly syn as compared to QHSP.

However that being said I have gotten very good results with MC5000 running it for 5000-5500 miles in my car. A 5 quart jug of it is about $11.50 at my local WalMart. It's hard to justify the cost premium associated with synthetic unless I can get similar deals on it.

I'm now running MC5000 5w20 for the short trips and cooler weather that is coming. The car is approved for 5w20 and it specifies it on the oil cap. It seems more peppy on the 5w20 and I am tracking about a half mile per gallon mileage improvement. I will sample the 5w20 at 5000 miles and go from there.

Last edited:
Unless you're burning oil, I don't see why you'd use 5W30 in the first place. If it's speced for 5W20, USE 5W20. And forget that thicker summer, thinner winter bull. These oils are designed for YEAR round.

Last edited:
I get more startup rattle from 5w20 during the summertime. When it's cold out, it starts up quietly with the 5w20. Maybe I just need to try a different 5w20 or filter? *shrug*

Ware metals look good/low, sodium is high but this could be the oil itself as an add and the other adds look OK!
TBN is still good at 3.0 and the oil held in grade nicely at 10.2 This is what I expect from store brand syn oil, a bit lower on the adds than some of the better name brand oils but, does well over all. I'm not really familier with the Nitrate, Sulpher and Oxidation numbers and what they should be. And I guess that the water, a/f and fuel having no numbers next to them is a good thing!

Looks good!

Last edited:
The sodium is part of the add pack. I did a VOA on this oil also and put it in the VOA section a few months back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back