Ordered a pedal commander (review and thoughts)

A 6 month or so update with the pedal commander.

It is better now than when I installed it as I now know how the throttle likes to be depressed and know how the engine will respond.

IMG_3369.jpeg

Changed the mode to Sports+ -4 (one mode higher than the Sport mode +4 I had it in before), and it was a substantial but really positive difference as it raises the engine RPMs just enough that I barely have to rev match in between shifts, and it added a little bit more of a aggressive tip in thats awesome for higher rpm rev matching and still has a wide range of response on the pedal travel and when I actually depress the pedal to wide-open throttle there is more power response.

It is not true that the pedal commander just gives you wot higher up on the pedal range. Yes it gives a MUCH more aggressive tip in and responsive, but there is MORE power at full throttle if needed.

IMG_3208.jpeg

Gas mileage has increased over time now that I have learned how to "work" the throttle for the best responsiveness without bogging the engine or going to WOT.

A 6 month or so update with the pedal commander.

It is better now than when I installed it as I now know how the throttle likes to be depressed and know how the engine will respond.

View attachment 166264
Changed the mode to Sports+ -4 (one mode higher than the Sport mode +4 I had it in before), and it was a substantial but really positive difference as it raises the engine RPMs just enough that I barely have to rev match in between shifts, and it added a little bit more of a aggressive tip in thats awesome for higher rpm rev matching and still has a wide range of response on the pedal travel and when I actually depress the pedal to wide-open throttle there is more power response.

It is not true that the pedal commander just gives you wot higher up on the pedal range. Yes it gives a MUCH more aggressive tip in and responsive, but there is MORE power at full throttle if needed.

View attachment 166265
Gas mileage has increased over time now that I have learned how to "work" the throttle for the best responsiveness without bogging the engine or going to WOT.
How is that possible? It's not within the capability of this unit to add more power.

Going by 1 SX's other thread about how changing his coolant mixture stopped his engine burning oil, I remain dubious.
That was unnecessary.

I explained in that thread for the SONATA not the kia that the engine was running HOT as per the display, and I did not even know it because I thought heat range being in the middle was normal. BUT normal is actually one click below middle and NOT the middle on the display.

WOT is WOT either way.
It's too early yet over here haha, but what I am trying to say is pedal commander DOES NOT go into WOT at 30% throttle like some think. Yes it does add aggressiveness and initial throttle responsiveness, but overall the actual pedal responsive is progressive and WOT is actually WOT.

It's too early yet over here haha, but what I am trying to say is pedal commander DOES NOT go into WOT at 30% throttle like some think. Yes it does add aggressiveness and initial throttle responsiveness, but overall the actual pedal responsive is progressive and WOT is actually WOT.
Now that's better. The easiest way to look at a pedal tuner is the graph I posted in this thread from logs of pedal vs. throttle.

My point of view on why I installed this pedal commander is that most Hyundai and Kia vehicles up until recently are very "sleepy" in terms of throttle response, with huge delays and little initial feedback. It's good for EPA, not great for a 6 speed. I enjoy the throttle feedback something the H/K kinda "muted" for the normal driver, so this pedal commander addressed that hugely.

I know it add's ZERO hp, but it changes the way the HP is delivered.

I do recommend the pedal commander to address certain aspects of the drive by wire system for the throttle, but I do not recommend it if you want Dyno HP numbers as again the commander adds zero Hp, its just applies the hp differently in term of "feel" "feedback", and "responsiveness".

My point of view on why I installed this pedal commander is that most Hyundai and Kia vehicles up until recently are very "sleepy" in terms of throttle response, with huge delays and little initial feedback. It's good for EPA, not great for a 6 speed. I enjoy the throttle feedback something the H/K kinda "muted" for the normal driver, so this pedal commander addressed that hugely.

I do recommend the pedal commander to address certain aspects of the drive by wire system for the throttle, but I do not recommend it if you want Dyno HP numbers as again the commander adds zero Hp, its just applies the hp differently in term of "feel" "feedback", and "responsiveness".
I 100% support using these things, it's quite an amazing improvement in drivability. Now ask my wife who drove my Sportwagen yesterday b/c I had the Atlas up for an oil change and you'll get a different response...."I nearly rear ended someone when I took off." AHAHAHAHA

My car isn't used often by folks in my family but I've tried to show them all where the switch is (hidden) and to just turn it off when they drive it. You get used to it quickly but yes, at first it can be shocking how little pedal is required to go full send on that car.

I prefer a slow and progressive throttle response.

Had a pedal commander on an F150 once, took it off and sold it a month later.

Auto makers spend time programming things like throttle response, to improve driveability on public roads, not for drifting like the Tokyo Drift movie.

I have driven a few trucks with these on and compared to stock they do provide an enhanced experience. Mostly removing the annoying lag in oem pedal mapping. Driving is better IMO over stock.

Will consider getting one likely the BMS unit for our VW.

I have driven a few trucks with these on and compared to stock they do provide an enhanced experience. Mostly removing the annoying lag in oem pedal mapping. Driving is better IMO over stock.

Will consider getting one likely the BMS unit for our VW.
BMS works great. I'd like to have one on our Atlas as well.

Well add me to the list of people who actually own one and have it disconnected.

It doesn't change how fast the throttle body opens, despite that pretty graph all it does it mimic you pushing the pedal faster with less input.

If you mash the pedal with or without the device, the ECU will still take its same amount of time opening the throttle body.

Due to how all these devices (save one) steal voltage from the pedal circuitry to power itself, you're playing with your life as there are reports of unintended acceleration (worst case) and christmas lights on the dash (best case when it comes to issues reported).

The only one that is properly designed, is the banks pedal monster which powers itself via the OBD2 port, made in America, and has circuitry built in to disable itself the second it senses any issues.

Maybe my truck just doesn't have any lag worth worrying about but I've grown used to how it responds and just don't see the point in having something wired to my pedal that doesn't change anything beyond requiring 1/4" less input to get the same response.

Well add me to the list of people who actually own one and have it disconnected.

It doesn't change how fast the throttle body opens, despite that pretty graph all it does it mimic you pushing the pedal faster with less input.

If you mash the pedal with or without the device, the ECU will still take its same amount of time opening the throttle body.

Due to how all these devices (save one) steal voltage from the pedal circuitry to power itself, you're playing with your life as there are reports of unintended acceleration (worst case) and christmas lights on the dash (best case when it comes to issues reported).

The only one that is properly designed, is the banks pedal monster which powers itself via the OBD2 port, made in America, and has circuitry built in to disable itself the second it senses any issues.

Maybe my truck just doesn't have any lag worth worrying about but I've grown used to how it responds and just don't see the point in having something wired to my pedal that doesn't change anything beyond requiring 1/4" less input to get the same response.
Actually, it does change how fast it opens for a given amount of pedal travel...that "pretty" graph shows it clearly. I didn't make this up - that "pretty" graph is actual data I logged on my car. Also the video I posted somwhere here also shows this (re-posted below). What are you not seeing? And a big "huh?" to the voltage and "playing wiht your life"...seriously? BITOG level 11.

I can vouch for the Banks pedal monster. I have it on my 19 F150 and it completely took care of the awful factory throttle response. I once unplugged it while accelerating in an isolated area just to see what would happen, and it goes right back to the factory pedal feel with no hiccups.

I like a very touchy pedal ( think throttle cable ). My truck is custom tuned and the throttle tip in is adjusted how I like it. I just leave the pedal monster unplugged from the OBD port. If I ever feel like running the stock tune, just plug it back in.

Back