Orange sludge in radiator

I think Dex-Cool is fine if your car came from the factory with it. Otherwise no.

I avoid the universal coolants and use a coolant designed for my engine although I am fine with a brand like Xerex.

Of course skip Dollar Tree brand oils and coolants.
I use zerex g05 in my other cummins. Of course it gets changed 🙄

I've adjusted the image and posted it here to perhaps make it easier for members to see.

1686922344355.jpeg

Watch this YouTube video which explains the issues linked to DEX-COOL that got GM into hot water. Especially focus on the portions around the 4 minute, 10 second mark.

Watch this YouTube video which explains the issues linked to DEX-COOL that got GM into hot water. Especially focus on the portions around the 4 minute, 10 second mark.

I've watched a few. All the YouTube videos say it's from mixing fluid, while all of you say lack of maintenance

Last edited:
I saw mixing coolant.

For it to rust really bad plain water would have used rather than coolant.

You could always plumb in an online coolant filter until the system is clean then pull it out.

I saw mixing coolant.

For it to rust really bad plain water would have used rather than coolant.

You could always plumb in an online coolant filter until the system is clean then pull it out.
From the pics I gave of my truck? Thats what I think it is too. If it was plain water, it would just be a rusty watery color, not a thicker paste.

I think Dex-Cool is fine if your car came from the factory with it. Otherwise no.

I avoid the universal coolants and use a coolant designed for my engine although I am fine with a brand like Xerex.

Of course skip Dollar Tree brand oils and coolants.
It could have been mixed with any flavor of antifreeze honestly. I don't think green mixes with anything, so unless they flushed out the factory green stuff good, which nobody probably did then no telling how long its been sludged. Nobody ever tells the truth these days. I'm not sure why I didn't give it a better look over beforehand either. The radiator looks newish. Maybe in the last year or so it was replaced? That's the thing when you buy an older vehicle, no telling what was done.

If its not overheating, keep driving.

I'd either flush it, or simply drain/refill and add rmi25 to the mixture and keep driving. You'll probably want to repeat in 6-12 months.

If you want to flush:

I don't go bezerk with cooling systems. Simple shorten the interval until it cleans out. Might have to repeat a couple times a year.

Keep the coolant level full cold always with a quality 50:50. Pick a good quality coolant for your engine.

I would use a chemical radiator flush product of your choice, follow the directions, and repeat until all is clean to you satisfaction You should be good after that

This is going to be my Sunday morning project. Can I run straight water in it and do a few drain a fills over a period of a couple weeks? Then put antifreeze back in? Or will it overheat with straight water?

Running straight tap water will be acceptable and won't overheat; however, I don't recommend doing it for a couple of weeks since there won't be any rust inhibitor for the iron block.

I suggest just turning the climate control to full heat and flushing thoroughly with tap water until it runs clear. Next, run the Prestone cleaner per the directions and do a follow-up flush with tap water. Then, drain as much water as possible and refill to 50% total capacity with concentrated Final Charge or G05 coolant. Top off the system with distilled water and purge all air and refill as necessary with pure coolant. This process will ensure you have at least ~50/50% coolant in the system.

Back