Opinions on what oil filter I should use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be heading on a trip and here in a couple of weeks and will be changing my oil this weekend.

I would like to have everyone's opinion on what oil filter I should use.

I have narrowed it down to 4 choices.

Purolator PureOne PL12222
Fram Ultra XG10060
AC Delco PF48
Mobil 1 M1-113

3 of the 4 are considered "premium" oil filters while the AC Delco is the OEM.

I would guess that in the order of price & quality/filtration:

1)FRAM Ultra
2)Mobil 1...tie
2)Pure ONE..tie. But, Purolator Syn and Bosch D+ would be closer to the Fram Ultra
4)AC Delco...standard filtration

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stchman
I will be heading on a trip and here in a couple of weeks and will be changing my oil this weekend.

I would like to have everyone's opinion on what oil filter I should use.

I have narrowed it down to 4 choices.

Purolator PureOne PL12222
Fram Ultra XG10060
AC Delco PF48
Mobil 1 M1-113

3 of the 4 are considered "premium" oil filters while the AC Delco is the OEM.

I guess we'll presume you're speaking of the 5.3L in your signature line? Overall the Vortec is pretty stout engine line, so risk is minimal.

Is your trip going to consume your entire expected O/FCI, or are you going to be back before then? Is your intent to test some DOE and monitor results, or are you just "wingin' it" for the fun? Unless your trip is going to be 10k miles or more, it's basically moot.

After running 10k miles on a Classic, and 15k miles on a little FL400S, and having good wear results, I'd have to say this ...
It won't matter, unless your O/FCI is going to be greatly extended past those numbers.

Data shows that once a safe minimum threshold of filtration is met, "more" really does not manifest into "better" during normal use. Therefore any decent filter will likely do a good job, and your engine won't mind one way or the other. Might as well choose the least expensive.

Last edited:
Yes, the 2013 Silverado in my signature is the vehicle I will be changing oil in. Agreed, the Vortec 5300 is a great engine and will easily outlast the vehicle is maintained properly.

I plan on getting a UOA from Blackstone on the oil that I am using right now with TBN.

Right now I have ~6K miles on the Mobil 1 in the engine. The UOA with TBN will tell me if I am changing it too early, late, etc. I suspect that I am changing it a touch too early.

As far as cost, I really don't care about the cost of the filter. Yes, the AC Delco is only $4, but the Fram Ultra at Walmart is only $9.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd go with the AC Delco,as long as it's not an ecore.

I have a stash of AC Delco oil filters for my truck. All the PF48s are non E-core.

I wouldn't be concerned running any of those filters out to a minimum of 7500. I agree the ACDelco would be more preferable without the e-core. If I didn't have the oil or filter, I'd get the AAP deal for this month, Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter for 32.99. In an off-sale month, the Fram Ultra from WalMart would be my next choice, but simply for reason of availability and price. But then again, the P1 isn't a bad choice either for the price point. You really can't go wrong with any of those filter with a considerable OCI, considerable being your oil change monitor on the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
I would go with AC Delco since you already have it and I am assuming the truck is still under warranty.

The truck is still under warranty, yes.

Purolator P1. I like the textured grip.

Also, there is a Purolator Synthetic filter, with the same textured grip, but the can is blue instead of yellow, and is meant for extended OCI's like Fram Ultra and M1. They sell it at Pep Boys for $10. Part number PSL12222.

However, the P1 is still a great option for the OCI dictated by your OLM.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd go with the AC Delco,as long as it's not an ecore.

I have a stash of AC Delco oil filters for my truck. All the PF48s are non E-core.

If you've got 'em, you may as well use them.
These filters will hold up just fine for an OLM directed OCI.

You could always buy a few at AAP and use a code to drop the price (6.95 each + tax):

93zg.jpg

I like the PureONE for the simple facts that:

It's readily available and several different stores that I shop(as is the Classic)

Reasonable everyday cost and often on sale/rebate or with an Oil/Filter special

Good Repuatation/% Micron Rating

Painted Textrued Grip

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back