Opinions on this Ariens 24" Snowblower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasn't been used much. Guy wants $250.

He picked it up from my boss after it had been sitting for awhile. Got it running. Had stuck valve. He used MMO to get the valve free. Runs great. Its at our work now.

He just replaced axle and auger lube.

IMG_20140206_131928315.jpg

Good buy? Engine is Tecumseh. Serial number: H60-7500-3H

Is there a replacement for this engine if it dies?

I have one of those. Got it with blown engine. Put a chonda 208cc 6.5 hp motor on it. Very very well balanced.

The forward/ reverse interface is pretty clunky.

On mine turning on the belt turns on the auger. One can't move it under power with the auger off.

I wouldn't pay $250 especially if the engine is ghetto rigged.

I have 3 of the exact same model. Two I got free from Craigslist. The other I paid 40 $ . When I got tired of fiddling with the Tecumseh, I followed Eljefino and put on a Chonda A hundred $, maybe.for a real good runner. The Chonda is a definite improvement over the Tecumseh. The Ariens in the picture is missing its air box.

The forward lever down by the pulleys engages the augurs.

Those Ariens are great machines. I just helped a friend restore his this past summer. It got re-powered with a Briggs and Stratton snow engine, which was pretty easy to install. A fresh coat of paint, some new gearbox oil, new belt, and it is ready for another 40 years. He got his for $60, but it also had a tired engine, lots of rust, and it was July.

I'd offer $175-200 and see where he goes. Around here that machine would be sold by now. If you were to buy it and throw a newer engine on it, that would blow any new machine out of the water, and last twice as long.

I'll see if I can find pics of the restore we did.

I think Airens makes a great machine, my 36" is maybe 8-10 years old. Based upon the handles I assume the one in the picture is more like 15.

Just because someone got the engine running does not mean its in great shape.

I would not go above $125 to $150.

I let it go. He traded it to another guy for a 12' Jon boat and a 30# electric trolling motor.

Glad I didn't pull the trigger. I do want a restoration project snow blower. One day....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back