Opinions on Accel Kool Blue Air Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

Anyone have any experience with these. My girlfriend is due for an air filter change very soon and I was thinking I may put in a cotton Gauze filter such as a K&N rather than another paper filter. K&N are pretty expensive and the Kool Blues seem to be a much better deal. But I'd like to know if flow okay and especially how the construction is. I for sure know a K&N will last years and years but I'd like to know if the Kool Blues are the same. Thanks in advance.

Yes.

I you are inclined to this type of filters that must be cleaned, go for a K&N. Much better construction IMO, allthough I don't use them myself.

What I did not like about the Kool Blue brand:

-Imported, made in France
-Poor fit, both filters were about 1/4" smaller in size than the fiter box, did not fit very good compared to the OEM filter.
-Not rigid, I found the one in my GMC truck had sagged about 2-inches below level with the filter boxtop, leading to air gaps around the edge of filter. If you took the filter and held about 2/3 of it off the edge of a flat table, it would not stay flat, the unsupposted end would sag downward link a slinky. Try that with a good filter and it will remain rigid.

I have since throw them out.
btw-Used on 2002 Trans Am WS6 and 2001 GMC Sierra

Hey Mike. It seems to be that you're one of the only people in the forums to have used one of these (judging by your past posts). I guess I've never really liked anything from Accel. It was between this or a Fram Air Hog. Both the K&N and Airhog are both about the same price. I guess I'll spend the extra few bucks and just go with the tried and true K&N filter. Thanks for the reply bud.

BTW everything you say that's bad about the Kool Blue filters seems to be everything I hated about the AMSOIL foam filter.

Kinda like beating a dead horse around here...
grin.gif

But... The K&N panel filters, seem to be about as useful as **** on a bull moose. They increase horsepower zero, and allow more dirt in.

The air filter study around here was pretty well convincing...
cheers.gif

I don't know if K&N filters are as useless as people around here think they are. I know their have been tests done but their are many people who feel a difference in throttle response when they put in a K&N filter. Some people, especially those who use forced induction, have dynoed an up to 5 hp increase. I mean on the common car I agree that you might not feel a difference whatsoever but I don't think this is the case on every car. I really have no problem using them if properly oiled. I have one in my car right now. And if you have a cold air intake that runs in dirty areas and you're worried, then buy an outerwears prefilter to set your mind at ease.

Although I will say that if you live in a place with fine dust particles or sand I might be scared to use the K&N.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back