Opinion On Best Oil For '06 Audi A6??

Status
Not open for further replies.
RS4, sorry to hear about that. It sounded like the RS4 was your pride and joy. But very few of us get a chance to own a car like that in our life time.
cheers3.gif

Tornado Red, the M1 ESP costs exactly $10 a quart without shipping. So yeah, it's mucho dinero $$$$. But most vw502 oils are disappearing from the shelves in my area. M1 0w-40 is no longer sold at Walmart here. Synpower 5w-40 is not formally VW502 anymore. GC is also hard to find and I don't think it is on the lately VW 502 list. Ironically, ESP is one of the few VW spec'ed oils I can still find around here. I also don't want to use dealer oil because it's bulk oil and I have no idea if the additives have settled on the bottom. When my stash of Maxlife synthetic with the VW502 on the bottles run out, I'll be looking for a new oil.

VeeDubb, you should be able to get a synthetic from your dealer at a pretty reasonable price. My dealer sells synthetic for about the same price as Auto Zone.

Many VW and Audi dealers aren't even stocking the 504.00/507.00 spec oil yet. Some VW dealers are still recommending conventional oil for the 1.8T engine, or at least asking the customers "do you want synthetic or do you want to save money?" Some of these dealerships offer Castrol Syntec 5w40 as their top-of-the-line oil.

But I suppose they can all get the good oil, if a customer wants it. There are some that will sell it for a reasonable price, others are jacking up the price.

Hi,
Tornado Red - You said this;
"Some of these dealerships offer Castrol Syntec 5w40 as their top-of-the-line oil."

Audi in Australia appears to be using a similar perhaps Globally badged" version of this lubricant

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Tornado Red - You said this;
"Some of these dealerships offer Castrol Syntec 5w40 as their top-of-the-line oil."

Audi in Australia appears to be using a similar perhaps Globally badged" version of this lubricant

In a desperate situation, I would use it. But it wouldn't be in my top ten list.

Why is Syntec 5w-40 so bad? It has a Porsche approval, which means it is a decent oil. It may not be the best for the dollar, but if that's all that's available, it will work fine. I have it in my v6 right now and it's very smooth.

Why no mention of Amsoil AFL Synthetic 5W-40 European Engine Oil? Anyone have experience with this oil or know it's track record in our engines?

Don't see any VW504/507 or VW503 503.01 and 506 in the specs.

Last edited:
If the Amsoil site says it's recommended for Volkswagen 502.00, 505.00, 505.01 , it still has to be on Audi's list to be approved??

Last edited:
With this info on their site can Audi still deny warranty coverage?

APPLICATION
AMSOIL Synthetic European Car Formula is formulated to surpass the most demanding European specifications. It is recommended for European and North American gasoline or diesel vehicles requiring any of the following worldwide specifications:

API SM/CF
ACEA C3-04
ACEA A3/B3-04
ACEA A3/B4-04
ACEA C3
BMW LL-04
Mercedes Benz 229.31, 229.51
Porsche
Saab
Volvo
Volkswagen 502.00, 505.00, 505.01
DaimlerChrysler MS-10725

Yeppers. Nowhere on the Amsoil site does it say that the oil is "approved". If it was, there would be an approval letter, based on testing by VW in Germany. Audi/VW sequence testing is extremely expensive, which is why Amsoil does not do it.

Originally Posted By: Quadrasteer
If the Amsoil site says it's recommended for Volkswagen 502.00, 505.00, 505.01 , it still has to be on Audi's list to be approved??

The way this works is, if an Audi dealer claims that an engine failed because of the oil, and refuses to honor the warranty, then Amsoil gets involved. If their tests show that the oil was at fault, then they pay for your repairs. If their tests show the oil was not at fault, then their lawyers get involved with the Audi lawyers.

This generally holds true for all companies that sell motor oil. If a company claims it meets a certain spec, then they assume a responsibility if you use it as intended.

There may be certain exceptions. If you change brands at every oil change, then no oil company is going to pay for repairs that might have been caused by some other oil. If you exceed the manufacturer's recommended service interval, then you are out of luck. If you use the wrong spec, forget about it.

Hi,
I believe that Amsoil's Euro 5w-40 has MB Approval to MB229.51

The problem like any lubricant that is NOT Approved for a certain engine family is that you do not know how it will perform there. That is of course if you have not got a lot of experience with the lubricant in question

I have no doubt that this Amsoil lubricant is a very good product indeed - exceptional? I doubt it. Average, and not anything special for the price I suspect like many others

There is no Porsche Approval for Syntec 5w-40.

Looks like the VW LL-III is VW504/507

vwll3oil.jpg

vwoil.jpg

SLX Pro looks like a good VW 502 oil...

SLXpro.jpg

HI,
AJ - Castrol's Syntec 5W-40 is Porsche Approved and Listed (for USA and Canada) until 09/14/08. This can be extended

There are 18 BP-Castrol products on Porsche's Approvals List - 13 are of 5W-40 viscosity and 5 are of 0W-40 viscosity

I believe that we are witnessing a Global approach to formulations and Branding by at least BP-Castrol and ExxonMobil

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
I have no doubt that this Amsoil lubricant is a very good product indeed - exceptional? I doubt it. Average, and not anything special for the price I suspect like many others

Yes, Ive seen it seemingly slip in and out of MB approval, with little indication either way.

That said, Ive seen as little indication of the Amsoil 5w-40 being a stellar product, as Ive seen of it being just an average product.

Based upon what metrics do you suspect that it is merely an average product for the price?

Ive seen a number of very nice looking UOA results, and havent really seen a poor one, though it may exist.

That said, I see a lot of claims to it being exceptional or just being average, but very little information to back up the claims...

And its important to me because Im figuring out what oil to run in our 2.5L rabbit.

JMH

Hi,
JHZR2 - My comment was ..... "suspect"

Yours was:
"That said, Ive seen as little indication of the Amsoil 5w-40 being a stellar product, as Ive seen of it being just an average product."

We obviously agree?

Many lubricants fall into this "average" trough and many of the engines they live in survive for quite exceptional mileages. Syntec mentioned in here is one and GTX in various forms is another for example. So are certain Pennzoil products too as I understand it - there are many in the trough from a whole range of Blenders and Oil Companies

IMHO a few "good" UOAs don't really make a case - many over an extensive period might. What matters most to me is to see a quality Amsoil product actually seek and obtain a Manufacturer's Approval. And Benz are very particular too!

I've seen Delvac 1 5w-40 withdrawn from MB Approval for a period about 1998. It was re-established after about six months!

Last edited:
But there is very little reason to consider it merely average for use across a spectrum, particularly when looking/comparing results of say, M1 0w-40 across a broad spectrum. Some results of that oil are lousy, others are pretty decent.

And that is my point; more than most oils, I see a lot of praise for this one, yet I dont see a lot of real, technical reasoning behind it. It very well might be the best thing ever for a wide variety of engines, but why? There are UOAs that all seem to be consistent and good, but unlike other oils, this one (amsoil 5w-40) seems to get more blanket statements of being good than most others.

Not to hijack this thread... but again, being balanced, I see a lot of undue claims of it being top notch, but just as unfair is to claim it as average with so little known of its widespread use. (same for RLI or whatever else)

Cheers,

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back