Opinion needed 1996 Cadillac Eldorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the chance to buy a 1996 Cadillac Eldorado with the 4.6 Northstar w/60k for about $1000. I am debating buying it to keep instead of sell but wanted to get some opinions from the hive here. I am aware of the oil consumption and possible head gasket issue but could handle the repair if the situation should arrive. I am for sure picking it up but can't to decide to keep or sell. Thanks for the help all.

Last edited:
I think youll find out after a couple weeks of running it if its a keeper or not. My Mom has a 1989 coupe with the 4.5(?) and it is a nice driver. The rear self leveling suspension still functions. The coolant ate a hole in the back of the block where it mates to the trans, though
frown.gif

For $1000 you can't go wrong especially considering you are aware of the possible issues you may encounter and are able to do the repairs.

Even if it turns out to be a bad decision, you can easily get your money back ... probably more if you part it out.

Northstars are notorious for being a PITA to work on. You also gotta watch the rear main seals on them as well. Unless you like spending all weekend or longer under the hood of a car, id sell. The mileage is way too low for the model year. Id be suspicious.

you said that you can handle the headgaskets but can you handle the constant computer problems with the hvac system or the constant battery drain no other shop can fix? I have. many customers with simmilar caddys and they keep throwing good money after bad at them. one guy is over $10000 in repairs in less than a year. his just turned 90kmiles

Originally Posted By: Jeffy_D
Northstars are notorious for being a PITA to work on. You also gotta watch the rear main seals on them as well. Unless you like spending all weekend or longer under the hood of a car, id sell. The mileage is way too low for the model year. Id be suspicious.

It belonged to a family member with many vehicles

Originally Posted By: Chris142
oh are you aware that the threads in the block strip and that's what blows the headgaskets? you must install inserts to fix

Yeah I read through the process last night. I think it might be wise to just flip it while it still runs well.

I've had two Northstar Cadillacs and both were good cars. I had a '97 Seville and never touched the head gaskets in the near 200k miles it was in the family. The 4T80-E transaxles are bulletproof as well. That Seville was one of the best vehicles I've owned. The computer-controlled suspension dampers are expensive, but there are passive aftermarket options. For $1,000 you really can't go wrong. It's certainly worth buying to flip if you can make a buck on it. But I'd keep it as a toy car if you're interested in that kind of thing. Those Eldos are very classy. Is it a standard Eldorado or an ETC? The standard Eldorado has the 275 hp Northstar with a 3.11 final drive ratio and will easily pull down upper 20s on the highway. An ETC will have the 300 hp engine with a 3.71 final drive and is a real runner. I've had one of each powertrain (the 275 horse and the 300 horse) and actually preferred the 275 horse version.

This could be a very good car going from what you say about its miles and condition.
If i kept it i would pull the valve covers and check the head bolts by trying to move them with a normal 1/2 ratchet without applying to much pressure.
Just to make sure none are loose. Don't try to retorque them or loosen them just be sure they are tight.

Flush the coolant and make sure you don't overheat it, the head bolts will probably last a good long time.
Every one that i have seen with a blow HG the bolts were loose and the holes were stripped out.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
For $1000 you can't go wrong especially considering you are aware of the possible issues you may encounter and are able to do the repairs.

Even if it turns out to be a bad decision, you can easily get your money back ... probably more if you part it out.

I agree.

Good idea of an engine,bad execution.Another great GM design (Quad-4,Twin Dual Cam,HT4100.....lol) that winds up costing owners thousands.Reminds me of Chrysler's loveable 2.7 with sludge issues and the built in water pump that leaks and kills the engine.

I respect Trav's opinion, but I don't even think I'd touch the head bolts myself. If they're loose, you'll know it with the coolant (either losing it or with a combusion gas check). And if you do find any that are loose, I'm not sure what you could do about it anyway; the threads would likely be ruined already, or would get ruined if you tightened them. Hand-tight wouldn't fix a leak either. If they're loose, a Time-sert repair is the only real fix anyway, so I guess I'd wait until I got some symptoms personally.

Coolant maintenance is as important on this car as any other. Aluminum engines don't produce flakes of rust in the coolant that many are accustomed to looking for, so coolant changes were often not done on time. DexCool is a 5 year/150,000 mile coolant, so the coolant should have been changed at least three times already (2001, 2006, 2011); I'll bet it hasn't been changed once.

These engines are very durable overall. Water pumps and starters are very easy to change, despite their locations. The engines generally get poor reputations from two camps of people: people who have never worked on them to begin with, and people who have improperly tried to make a repair, like using Helicoils to replace head bolt threads. Sure, it'd be nice if the head bolt threads had no issues, but sometimes they do, and there's a right way and a wrong way to tackle the issue.

And a quick check of Time-sert's website shows that they make head bolt thread repair kits for a plethora of vehicles, Cadillac Northstars simply being one of them. BMWs, Ford Modulars, GM's High Feature 3.0/3.6L V-6 engines, GM's Atlas inline sixes and GEN-III V-8s, various Honda I-4 and V-6 engines, various Landie and Toyota engines, and even some Harley Davidson engines. Notice also that there are a number of Time-sert "Big-sert" kits, to be used after the failure of a Helicoil. People repair these things the wrong way all the time, and though it furthers the negative perception on these engines, it SHOULD reflect more on the improper repair than on the engine itself.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
repairs will nickle and dime you to death. run away from that steaming pile!
+1,000,000. They should have recall'd that ENTIRE car.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I would not buy a vehicle with this models track record. I don't like to work on my junk on my days off. everything i own with the exception of the heater core in my jeep can be worked on and easily accessible

this kind of car deserves only one place. primp it up as MUCH as possible and cheaply as possible, detail every nook and cranny. take lots of pictures, and finally, put it up on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back