OPE Planned Obsolescence

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's with the planned obsolescence with today's OPE?

Have a Homelite Vac Attack 2 blower which we bought in 2006. Runs great, starts right away, doesn't smoke and still a great machine. A couple years ago the gas tank started leaking at the lines. Bought the Ryobi fuel system tuneup kit and it fixed it up until this year. Started leaking again so a new kit. But it didn't fix it so I figured it has to be e tank or the holes are a little too big.

Looked online for a tank and it's long been discontinued. Luckily I found one on eBay for $30 (used to be $15 from what I could gather) and I should be set for another 7 years.

But I don't get why the part was discontinued. Seems to be a simple part and something that would save lots of machines from the grave. It's frustrating and certainly seems as if they want you on the new machine treadmill for simple stuff.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Is ethanol killing your fuel lines?

I had fuel lines leak on my tiller, rider, mower, and blower. I would say Yes. I replaced blower just because it was hard to replace the fuel lines.

I would say most people never bother fixing their OPE anymore. Planned obsolescence? Not likely. But when it inevitably breaks you'll likely be screwed.

Except for certain engines, like Briggs. Seems you can find parts for them in a Guam drugstore if you need them. But everything else manufacturer specific, good luck.

It's not all OPE, but Homelite is part of the TTI conglomerate. It's built to be disposable.

Anything that doesn't fit the current lineup is quickly discontinued.

Their power tools are mostly the same way.

I recently gave away my 2000 AYP (Electrolux) riding mower that I purchased new for $1000. It had fewer than 800 total hours and was still running with the original spark plugs and drive belt. It has a 14.5 hp Briggs twin and all I ever did to it was change the oil and clean/replace the air filter. The mower deck was it's weak point and why I finally had to let it go. The new owner is going to remove the mower and use it to pull a small cart around his yard which it will do just fine. Never had a problem with fuel-oil leaks and aside from the mower everything still works-even the headlights. Planned obsolescence?-not in this case, thankfully.

I realize most won't fix something like this and I still scratch my head on that. It's either $30 for new tank or $1-300 for a new blower. I wonder if it's because this repair at a shop would probably run $75-100 and at that price I could simply buy another one, use it another 6 years and not worry about it.

I was looking at a Husqvarna backback as I said the next one will be a "good" one and I always wanted a backpack blower. I guess I really can't complain that I've gotten 6 years out of it as I knew it was to be "disposable".

Probably is the ethanol. Can't remember if we got ethanol in 06 or if it was later (like 08) but the line that was leaking was the return from the primer circuit and it was the original. I never changed it a few years ago because it was a PITA to get to. Good news is this tank comes with the lines attached so it should be plug and play.

I know Homelite is TTI now but not all their stuff is that bad. You can still get parts for some old Milwaukee stuff and they are TTI too.

Quote:
But I don't get why the part was discontinued.

Quote:
I wonder if it's because this repair at a shop would probably run $75-100 and at that price I could simply buy another one, use it another 6 years and not worry about it.

No, you get it.

Crummy rubber line is the bane of "chondas" as well.

Now that I think of it, the EVAP stuff on my jeep liberty split if you looked at it wrong.

Bummer the "good stuff" from NAPA is so heavy duty it's outer diameter doesn't fit in some tight spaces.

I have an Echo string trimmer that is at least 8 years old. A few days ago I rebuilt the carb for the first time, replaced one original fuel line, and the original fuel tank grommet. I also cleaned the spark arrestor screen. All the parts were available at my local dealer and cost me less than $18. Now my trimmer runs like it's brand new again. I should be able to get another 8 years out of it.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I have an Echo string trimmer that is at least 8 years old. A few days ago I rebuilt the carb for the first time, replaced one original fuel line, and the original fuel tank grommet. I also cleaned the spark arrestor screen. All the parts were available at my local dealer and cost me less than $18. Now my trimmer runs like it's brand new again. I should be able to get another 8 years out of it.

But Johnny Average that hasn't a clue what a hex key or Torx bit is will take it to the shop and get a bill for as much as it cost if not more...

Same is true with much of today's appliances, TV etc(what I used to service)... Back when a new color TV cost $500-$800, consumers would readily spend $200-$300 on repair, but now days new price is similar and repair usually begins at $400-$500... So what are you gonna do???

Originally Posted By: TFB1

Same is true with much of today's appliances, TV etc(what I used to service)... Back when a new color TV cost $500-$800, consumers would readily spend $200-$300 on repair, but now days new price is similar and repair usually begins at $400-$500... So what are you gonna do???

Even when the TV costs a lot the parts are insanely expensive. At the end of 2005 we bought a Philips plasma TV. IIRC it was a hair under $2k. Came with a 2 year warranty. In year 1.5 the motherboard went out. The guy who came out to fix it said "Good thing you had the warranty - this part alone is $800." From what I remember when he popped the cover there were 2 other circuit boards there too...

This is why I like buying name brands, and commercial quality if I can. The Honda engines on my mowers have soft pliable silicone fuel and breather lines. I have Honda engines from 2001 and 2003, and both have all original rubber/silicone lines; they're still soft and pliable. I replace the brittle rubber fuel lines on other engines that are only a third of the age of my engines.

My hand-held OPE is all Echo, and replacement parts are available quick and easy from Home Depot. I just had to replace the fuel lines on my 2002 GT-200R last year, and the new kit works great. I have a new PE-230 stick edger, and the rubber lines are the same soft pliable lines as on the string trimmer. If I ever need to replace them, I'll buy the $10 kit from Home Depot and use them for another 10 years.

Oh: I also use E10 in everything. The OPE gets the same Shell fuel as our cars get. Exception will be the Echos this summer: O'Reillys has been giving me 32-oz pre-mix cans for $1.00 each after $5 coupon.

Originally Posted By: asand1
You can buy larger o.d. tygon and drill the tank to fit

Thanks. I'll have to try that with the old tank once I get it off . Could t tell if it was maybe a seam leaking or the hole. But once I have it off it should be easy to tell and if I can fix the old one up I will have a spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back