Oops, I Meant Wheel Alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last question, promise. Do I get a wheel alignment when getting
4 new tires. Car rides great, doesn't drift and present tires
have worn evenly. Thanks again

When I brought my Caravan into Sears for its bi-annual wheel alignment check, all wheels were still in spec. and I was only charged $15 plus tax for the check.

Check with your local Sears Auto Center and see if they too only charge a nominal fee if the wheels do not need to be adjusted.

if your car tracks fine before/after the tire replacement, and also no pulling, abnormal wear and/or dog tracking, then no, 4-wheel alignment not needed.

The only time (IMHO) a 4 wheel alignment necessary would be when you have your shocks/struts replaced. And if that is the case, make sure you replace them in pairs or 4s.

Q.

Originally Posted By: bobbob
Last question, promise. Do I get a wheel alignment when getting
4 new tires. Car rides great, doesn't drift and present tires
have worn evenly. Thanks again

Previous tires wore well and car doesn't pull, I say no need for an alignment.

Have an 01 Civic EX with ~105k (at the time), never had an alignment, previous tire sets wore fine, no pull. Bought new Gen HP's and decided what the heck, couldn't hurt. Took it to the Honda dealer, who happened to be a cheap as anyone around.

Put it on the rack and it was within spec, didn't make any adjustment at all. What bugs me is, if it's within spec they don't do anything, or bring to middle/center spec. They were done in no time and I was out ~$55. So lesson learned for me, if it's not broke ie., no bad wear or pull, I'll skip the alignment. JMO.

Now if as mentioned, one can get a free/low cost alignment check, that would be another matter.

Originally Posted By: Quest
if your car tracks fine before/after the tire replacement, and also no pulling, abnormal wear and/or dog tracking, then no, 4-wheel alignment not needed.

Agreed. My mother's Sunfire is at 150k miles on the original alignment. The tires always look great, so I'm not touching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back