Only got two turns to tight on the FRAM XG4967!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did an OC on the toyota with M1 HM10w-30 and Fram XG4967 (instead of the usual WIX 51396). Problem is, from initial thread engagement to full tight was only 2 turns. See any problems? My rule of thumb is a min 3 turns of any nut onto a bolt. The Yaris seems to have a short nipple. OEM filters have a convex (dome UP) flange which put the threaded hole about 1mm below gasket surface.

33.gif

Does it leak? You actually count the number of turns when putting an oil filter on?

That doesn't seem right. I've never had a vehicle that only had two turns of the filter housing....remember all the high pressure there that areas is a weak spot...If it doesn't thread on and give the number of turns that other filters do you probably want to remove it and use a filter you know fits properly.

Quote:

The new filter I bought, however, is problematic. It only spins on 1 1/4 turns before the seal makes contact. Thats not enough. I recheck the old one I just took off. It spins 2 3/4 turns before the seal makes contact. I decide to go and buy a genuine Toyota filter for the xB.

The Toyota part costs just $5.19, and that includes a new drain plug washer. The Purolator that I'm now leery of, the cheapest of three options I had at the auto parts store, cost $4.99--without a new drain plug washer. Not a bargain at all, really. And when I peer inside, the new Toyota filter has a visible check valve in there. The aftermarket filter has nothing of the sort.

I get a more-reassuring 2 3/4 turns on the new Toyota filter before it seats and I crank it down the required 3/4 turn more. With a new washer on the drain plug, the oil poured-in and the "Maint Reqd" lamp reset (a one minute procedure found on page 99 of the owner's manual,) I'm done with part A.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2008/03/2008-scion-xb-diy-oil-change.html

The filter in question was a Purolator Classic, which was even worse than your Fram. According to the article, the Toyota filter spun 2 3/4 turns.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Pipe wrench with three foot breaker bar you will get three turns.
crackmeup2.gif
Yep, that'll get ur done.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
33.gif

Does it leak? You actually count the number of turns when putting an oil filter on?

+1 If it's not leaking after start up, it's good to go.

As for the askhat in the blog quote saying "And when I peer inside, the new Toyota filter has a visible check valve in there. The aftermarket filter has nothing of the sort." I take it the Scion owner's "check valve" is referring to the bypass, which on the smaller Purolator oil filters is a flat design which doesn't protrude into the filter. Big difference than it "has nothing of the sort".
33.gif

I just changed the oil in the Corolla yesterday, and I remember that using the OEM filter it took close to 4 or 5 complete turns to get tight. It could be that Fram filter has a recessed base plate that only allows it to reach the bottom threads. I would not be comfortable with only 2 turns.

Only two turns, that would be a first for me. I'm not so sure I'd trust it. Try a Pure One or Mobil 1 filter instead. If that filter decides to let go it won't take long for things to turn real ugly!

Old O-ring? No. I wipe clean the filter mounting area with clean rags with a bit of new oil on them, and Im under there looking right at the mounting spotface. Thinking about this - I guess with just two-three threads engaged will allow oil to bypass around the threads. This must happen on all filters to some extent. I guess I should get a nipple adapter from a 2AZ-FE engine - they are about 1/4" longer and same thread. If I can find a FRAM cust service email I shoot them the info. I'll measure the difference betwix the FRAM and the OEM japanese toyota denso.

ARCO, why not just use the factory-recommended Toyota/Denso? I get them for under $6 at the local dealer for my sister's '08 RAV4. No fitment issues and they help ensure she won't have any warranty issues if something does go wrong.

i've had flow problems with thai denso on multiple vehicles. Chain noise, VVTi not working valve noise. NO problems with the Japan Denso - which is a different media. Dealer cant get Japan denso filters for me toyota PN: 90915-10003

Yeah, I'm not sure if I would be comfortable with 2 turns from initial engagement till the gasket touches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back