Only 2.9 HT/HS viscosity for RLI oil ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are but a few things suggesting that HTHS does not define an oil. Motor oil is complex and the properties are defined by the characteristics of the base oil and additives. No single test can tell you how it will work inside your engine.

On paper, synthetic oils are far superior to mineral based oils yet they both show similar wear and tear patterns in actual use in cars.

aehaas

Quote:
On paper, synthetic oils are far superior to mineral based oils yet they both show similar wear and tear patterns in actual use in cars.

Add pack has more to do with AW that base oil, IMHO.

Quote:
No single test can tell you how it will work inside your engine

Very true.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
High viscosity index does not necessarily correlate with a high film strength.

True, it is also dependent upon the type of base oils used. But, given two oils with similar base stocks the one with the higher viscosity at high temperature will have a higher film strength.

Viscosity index is essentially a measure of the slope of the viscosity curve. A higher VI indicates that the viscosity of the oil reduces more slowly with temperature. Given two oils that have the same 100C viscosity, the one with a higher VI will generally have the higher viscosity at temperatures above 100C.

Film thickness is a function of viscosity, with higher viscosity oil at high temperature creating a thicker film. Thus, given two oils of the same 100C viscosity, the one with the higher VI will have a higher viscosity at 150C and thus a higher film thickness.

RLI Biosyn oil is essential a blend of 40%+ HOBS bioester base stock with biodegradable PAO 4 base, along with additives and stabilizers.

Originally Posted By: glennc
I never thought to question the HTHS of this oil but would probably rule it out based on this. IMO >2.9 probably means 2.9 or slightly more, such that with the margin of blending variability any given batch will not fall below that number. So you might see 2.95 or even 3.02 but probably not 3.1. That would be my assumption until I learned otherwise, anyway.

Glenn, if you are truly interested in challenging your assumption then I'd suggest that you contact Bill Garmier of RLI directly. I'm sure he would be more than willing to clarify the meaning of HTHS > 2.9. My guess is that the oil is greater than 2.9 by design, and that it is not tested.

This number was the same specified for the 5W40 oil for the Audi RS4, which "requires" an HTHS of 3.5. I can guarantee you that that RLI 5W40 Biosyn had no problem holding up to 12 total hours of track time, across several days at full engine power and maximum rpm, all within one 10K OCI, and showing no indication of increased wear(as sampled at 3500, 6500 and 9500 miles during the OCI, on an engine with 25 to 35K miles)

Last edited:
The seemingly "low" HTHS of the RLI oils do not concern me. My Ferrari Enzo that calls for Shell Helix Ultra Racing 10W-60 is now running 0W-30 RLI. My wife feels her Lamborghini Murcielago is in much better shape running the 0W-20 RLI than the Red Line 5W-20 she was running just before. It normally calls for Agip 5W-40. Soon the Maybach 57s will experience 0W-20 RLI.

aehaas

Originally Posted By: Built_Well
Say, are there any photos of the RLI bottles on this board or the web? Didn't see any at RenewableLube.

What did you think you wanted to see? I have a couple drums and maybe a few jugs as well (5W-30 and 0W-20) sitting out in the warehouse I could look at for you if you tell me what you are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back