"older" Frams

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found some apparently older Fram filters at the local Advance Auto. The boxes are faded and the filters don't have that black grippy stuff on them. They are the ph2849a.

Are the older Frams of better quality than the current? When did they switch to cardboard endcaps?

Thanks
Mark

This comes up from time to time. It may be 6-8 years since I chopped open the last Fram I ever bought. I think there have been bad reports of 10 and maybe 20 year old Frams. Nobody ever reported any Fram with metal end caps and plenty of media. I know the area of the media is not the only important thing, but I am still waiting proof that the media in a PH 3950 is so great that it is as good as a PF 1177 with 3 times as much. The lack of media worries me much more than the end caps.

There could be some age clues, Allied Signal, Honeywell, etc. on the package. Why not buy one and cut it open and post back?

They may have always been suckering the public with a strong marketing program.

Look here!
grin.gif

20+ year old Cardboard caps there..

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Fram has used cardboard endcaps on most of their oil filters for one heckuva long time, surely 25 or 30 years. I doubt those filters are older than that.
wink.gif
cheers.gif

A few years ago, I picked up off of ebay what looks like a salesman sample kit with AC, Hastings, FRAM
shocked.gif
Lee and some other oil filters that have been cut opened.

I think the samples are pretty old, as the AC filter sample is white.

Yup...the Fram is there with the cardboard end caps.

From my observations, the only significant materials change in the last 15 years for Fram is that the gauge of the can steel appears to have gotten thinnner.

So I guess the older ones are "better" from that minor perspective.

I used to use that very filter on my Mazda 626, and I still have one sitting around, probably from six or more years ago. If you have the morbid idea to use one, check it for baseplate rust. Also, it looks poorly made when you look inside at the center tube. I'd pass on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back