Old school air filter test....still apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The air filter on my JD LX188 looks good when I hold it up to a light....I can see light through it. Years ago this was a test to see if a filter was clogged or not. It's been several years since I have replaced it ...I've just been cleaning the pre filter foam a couple times a year. The paper pleats don't look too dirty and the cost of a new filter is more than a car filter. Should I replace it just because it's an old filter or continue to keep an eye on it like I've been doing? I've been told a slightly dirty filter catches more dirt than a new one. Thanks, G

What I have learned on this web-site is, also check;

1) Condition of glue joints
Watch for seperation
-------------------------------------
2) Pliability of rubber gasket
Should be soft to ensure good seal
--------------------------------------
3) Do 'not' clean with compressed air
May dislodge dirt particles (and get blown downstream)

Cellulose filters are coated with a sticky surface to help trap debris. It will dry out over time hence the max time rating of many filters. I'd consult the manual for that time interval or email the mfr of the filter for a time limit of useful life when stored outside.

Yes. I am sure many also knock the dust out of the filter or vacuum it and then reuse it. Always good to check. In the spring also to make sure it was not used as a winter mouse home.

I've never used the light test as absolute, though if you can't see light it's probably bad(caked with 1/32" or more of dirt)... If it just dusty, a little compressed air on the back side won't hurt, if it's damp replace it...

I've seen the filter in my shop vac so clogged it had grown a beard, but you could still see light...

I use the light test all the time and I also blow out the filter with compressed air from the clean side. Never had a problem damaging the filter with compressed air and never had an engine problem due to ingesting dirt through the air intake system.

If it's cheap, under say $10 or so just pitch it and buy a new one. Better to spend a little now than reuse a filter that may have a small hole developing, a marginal gasket, etc.

Agreed, if they're readily available. However, sometimes, one has to reuse what they have until a new one can be found. Accordingly, light test and compressed air to clean it.

Wix part #2408...$33.00 at NAPA!!! As I said, it looks good when I hold it up to a light...It looks even better now after talking to NAPA!!!! ouch!

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Wix part #2408...$33.00 at NAPA!!! As I said, it looks good when I hold it up to a light...It looks even better now after talking to NAPA!!!! ouch!

OUCH is right.

I've got a 2002 Husqvarna lawn tractor with a Kawasaki engine that I have trouble finding air filters for. I've changed the air filter twice in twelve years. Cutting grass isn't all that dirty of an activity provided it's nice, green and slightly moist. Every spring, I inspect the air filter and blow it out. Then engine hasn't been touched, fires right up and runs well. it's got just over 600 hours on it and probably good for 600 more.

To gman2304 I have the same mower and once in a while I clean the foam part but I also use a vacuum cleaner hose on it. An older model Kirby vaccuum actually. I like to seafoam that beast once a year. Keeps it from stalling out when the mower deck is turned on.

Frequent cleaning and keeping the filter longer provides better filtering. you can never get all dirt and dust but that's ok, a used but clean filter filters better then a new one. i tap pleat filters and vacuum clean. soap and hot water for foam, towel dry and heavy motor oil soaking. i will always opt for foam prefilters on pleat filters too.

ken

P.S. air can could microscopic tears and let dirt past. if used regulate at a max of 10psi.
i personally have never used air and don't know if that's a myth but does make sense.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
I've got a 2002 Husqvarna lawn tractor with a Kawasaki engine that I have trouble finding air filters for. I've changed the air filter twice in twelve years. Cutting grass isn't all that dirty of an activity provided it's nice, green and slightly moist. Every spring, I inspect the air filter and blow it out. Then engine hasn't been touched, fires right up and runs well. it's got just over 600 hours on it and probably good for 600 more.

probably not the TT trans though.......

Interestingly, both my Jaguar and Suzuki (bike) had clean looking, but old, paper air filters. When I replaced them, power improved markedly.

Air filters are cheap, replace them with quality units on a regular basis. And, make sure they seal well.

For me, it also depends on how expensive the piece of equipment is. If it's an air filter on an expensive tractor, then I'd go ahead and replace every so often. I mean, who wants to take the chance of ruining an expensive 27HP engine over a $20 filter? On a push mower that I have all the parts for, then it's a little easier to skimp on things like filters, especially when the filter costs $15.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back