OK to use 0W40 to replace 5W20?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qfg

OK, to make a long story short. Is it OK to use 0W40 on a Civic that the manual say uses 5W20?

The 2007 Civic Si I-VTEC uses 5w30 and the 2007 S2000 I-VTEC calls for 10w30. You could probably use any of these with no problems but 0w40 is more than likely to heavy for the I-VTEC in the regular Civic.

For what it's worth, I'm running straight Amsoil 30wt in the TL and have seen nothing but positive results.

Originally Posted By: buster
Yes, but why?

My friend thought he found a really good "back alley" deal on the stuff, but it turned out to be 15W40 Esso XD3. Arrghh, nevermind. I guess you can't trust anybody in a back alley.
blush.gif
Doh!

Thanks for all advice any ways.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
For what it's worth, I'm running straight Amsoil 30wt in the TL and have seen nothing but positive results.

What good can possibly come from starting up with 500 cSt. oil vs. 150 cSt. oil?

Originally Posted By: qfg
Originally Posted By: buster
Yes, but why?

My friend thought he found a really good "back alley" deal on the stuff, but it turned out to be 15W40 Esso XD3. Arrghh, nevermind. I guess you can't trust anybody in a back alley.
blush.gif
Doh!

Thanks for all advice any ways.

At least nobody got tasered.

OK, to make a long story short. Is it OK to use 0W40 on a Civic that the manual say uses 5W20?

If it is a newer Civic with VTEC or iVTEC anything over SAE 30 seems to shorten the life of VTEC solenoid. If someone says that it is OK to use SAE40 oil on a VTEC powered engine, they probably don't know that VTEC is powered by the oil pressure and how it operates.

If your Civic was designed to run on 5W-20 then 5W-30 is probably the highest your could safely go. The tolernaces on the Honda engines will probably not allow SAE40 to get into all the journals and passages.

Just my $0.02. It is your car after all.

That's really a 10W30.

Originally Posted By: Al

What good can possibly come from starting up with 500 cSt. oil vs. 150 cSt. oil?

The car is basically started a couple times a week and goes 290 miles without stopping every time it's started, with the rare exception of a grocery run. It only gets down to the 30s here in the winter. I have noticed better power and vtec seems more noticable. Pretty much the opposite of what I was expecting. It's a "light" 30wt and besides, no VIIs is always a good thing.

Quote:
If it is a newer Civic with VTEC or iVTEC anything over SAE 30 seems to shorten the life of VTEC solenoid.

Do they sell VTEC in Canada? What do they do when their 5w-20 is like motor honey? Does everyone wait for about 12-15 miles before putting the engine into VTEC? If not ..then they're not doing it with a 20 weight.

Now I'm all for using 5w-20 where it's called for ..and even where it isn't. I'm just throwing these questions out there for discussion's sake.
28.gif

Originally Posted By: blueiedgod
The tolernaces on the Honda engines will probably not allow SAE40 to get into all the journals and passages.

How does cold 5W20 get into those passages at startup, then?

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Do they sell VTEC in Canada? What do they do when their 5w-20 is like motor honey?

FIL runs Delvac 1 in his Accord.

5W-40 meets Honda's specs for the 3.0 down here.

My friend thought he found a really good "back alley" deal on the stuff, but it turned out to be 15W40 Esso XD3.

Are you sure that's what it is ?

Could be anything ion those bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back