OK to run mower with out shroud?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yhooo....is it ok to run a 17 hp briggs& stranton with out the shroud being attached on a riding mower ? Yes I understand it's for cooling.....but is it Really needed? Engine is clean , also the clean fins are in fine shape.....I just don't have the shroud. I don't want to burn it up or shorten it's life ?
thanks for info......BOB

YES!!! Notice the flywheel. See those blades. The shroud confines the flow from them to the surface. Small engines are very competitively priced. If they weren't essential, they wouldn't be there.

You can run it without the mower hood. If by shroud, you mean the tin metal that wraps around the engine, then no, you will overheat the engine. Without it the cooling fan wont pull air properly from around the engine, and it will over heat.

Originally Posted By: N3OO
yhooo....is it ok to run a 17 hp briggs& stranton with out the shroud being attached on a riding mower ? Yes I understand it's for cooling.....but is it Really needed? Engine is clean , also the clean fins are in fine shape.....I just don't have the shroud. I don't want to burn it up or shorten it's life ?
thanks for info......BOB
If the shroud wasn't really needed why would the Manufacture go to the expense of installing it?

Definitely needs the shroud in order to not overheat. I wouldn't run it for more than a minute or two without it.

If you don't have one, ebay is a good place to find cheap used ones for your engine.

If you don't have the shroud and cannot get one try a high quality synthetic oil to take the heat and see how it goes. Also might want to try and run it when it's not so hot out.

You might be able to find one that fits on Ebay or a mower junkyard if you have one nearby. Should be cheap off a dead engine.

I think we all need to understand the definition of the OP’s ‘shroud’....my walk behind mower has a red, plastic decorative ‘shroud’ over the motor...for looks only. Under the red, plastic decorative shroud is the metal shroud that is attached to the engine and is responsible for directing cooling air over the cylinder fins...removing this would definitely overheat the motor.

The decorative one can be removed..the cooling one can’t (or shouldn’t).

Thanks for the info . I got the briggs 17 hp for $25.....changed oil to 30wt t1, briggs filter....new flywheel key and new starter gear and I rebuilt the carb.....fires up and sounds great.....I want to use it but don't want to cook it either. I'm about sure I'll find the shroud where the old tractor I took the engine from.....was out in a back yard for ten years , but it was covered with a tarp. Tarp was in decent condx for ten years old lol.
Well I had fun getting it dismounted from the old dead tractor....and put it on a Husquvarna that had a blown 20 hp courage engine.
I'm thankful that for an old man that I can still do "stuff" like this.
Hey thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back