Ok so here is my coolant story....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my 03 Yukon in to a friends shop that has a machine for flushing the cooling system. I wanted the Dexcool out of there so I brought some G-05 with me. Well in the middle of the process the machine broke. My coolant was lost and some Universal fluid was put in. They did not charge me for this. So in my mind I thought it could be a good thing because this was almost a complete flush and I could drive around for awhile and take it back when the machine was fixed. Well some things have happened and my friend is no longer going to work at this shop by the end of this week. So yesterday after washing the truck I dumped the radiator out and took the lower coolant hose off and flushed what I could and filled with a gallon of the universal (which they had given me) and about 3/4 gallon of distilled water. The fluid had looked a little dirty in the reservoir before this dump but cleaned up nicely and looks very clean now. The fluid that came out of the radiator looked good as well. So do you guys think I should stick with the Universal and leave it alone now? Or do another dump and switch over to the G-05 like I had originally wanted to? I understand that the universal is similar to the Dexcool however the universal obviously is compatible with all others so if I did a couple of dumps like I did yesterday with G-05 I should be good. What do you guys think? Sorry for the long post.

the easiest would be to drain the radiator and refill with 50/50 G-05, daily. It would take a long time to really get all of the other stuff out.

Id want to be sure of the antifreeze concentration, as the last poster said, but Id also want to get potentially conflicting chemistries out as soon as possible.

JMH

Thanks for the replies. I understand the concern about the ratio but just to let you guys know I did what the mechanic told me to do. Plus he is a good mechanic and friend so I know he would not tell me something different on purpose. I did put in slightly more coolant than distilled water because he told me to. The color looks right if that really means anything. I am in Florida so I do not really have to worry about freezing. I might dump in a can of the redline water wetter just for the conditioners in it.

Originally Posted By: EricZoom
... i would put in more water than coolant...
Within the specified range allowed in your owners manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back