Oil with MMO and without observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBM

So i ran penz hm 1030 with a quart of MMO last oci for 3500 miles. The oil was medium dark at 2500 miles, and at 3500 miles was black as night. I had previously run an ARX cycle. 4.0 Jeep motor has now 136k on it. The oil filter was very heavy.

I try to maintain a mmo mix in my gas, i am also using up some older FP that i will use from time to time also.

Between the ARX, the LC, FP and MMO i have a very well running Jeep now. There used to be a flat spot at around 60 ish and now it is gone. The tranny shifted very hard into 3rd when cold, arx and a pan drop seems to have "cured" that.

When i changed the oil to the mmo mixture i did not have the "wow my Jeep is running so much smoother" feeling like so many others. Yes it started very smoothly when it was 4 out a couple/few weeks ago. It did run smooth, im not sure if i noticed a drastic difference though. Chances are winter gas was making its way to the pumps at the same time i did this also, not sure if that means much.

So anyways, i changed the oil with PP 1030 and a toughguard filter.

I have to say, my Jeep is not able to maintain 75mph on the hw without pressing more into the gas pedal. I cannot pass people from 55-65 with the same ease as i was previously. It started this morning as easily as it did 2 days ago and idled just as smooth too. The motor actually "sounds" less tappy to me too.

I did just fill up at a "generic" gas station that i really normally dont go to, and added mmo to the fillup on the same day as the oil change.

I dont know what all this means, but i will fill up at mobil in a couple days, and if the jeep still seems to be driving the same, almost as if i am driving into a very heavy wind, i am going to drain a quart and put in a quart of MMO.

Not trying to start any kind of additive dispute, i really could care less what makes my jeep run well and makes me happy, ill put peanut butter in it if it shows results.

I find alot of value from this site, mostly as a lurker and learner. Chaos over additives really detracts from the meaning of bitog.

it is very weird, as the pennzoil HM is about 15 percent thicker than pp in the 10w30 grade. So after adding MMO to the HM oil chances are the viscosity of the oil is very close to PP without additives. Certainly not enough to notice major driving differences like you described. I think i would probably look at other things as weather, or gas maybe. I have had great results using MMO to get lifters unstuck ect so im not knocking the product, i just dont think the viscosity of the oil is what is causing the issue.

the problem to me sounds more like a fuel pump not pushing enough pressure, which could be a fuel filter at fault or a pressure regulator (which iirc is integrated into the fuel filter) or the fuel pump itself.

I dont think the viscosity of the oil is the reason either. Perhaps it was the gas from the Aprime station...

It is perplexing though, and i am interested in seeing what another fillup will show me. Maybe is it just a marvel that cannot be explained :)

I literally was on the gas pedal at 75 saying to myself, [censored] am i pressing so hard into the pedal for...on a flat road and all...

Originally Posted By: JBM
So i ran penz hm 1030 with a quart of MMO last oci for 3500 miles. The oil was medium dark at 2500 miles, and at 3500 miles was black as night. I had previously run an ARX cycle. 4.0 Jeep motor has now 136k on it. The oil filter was very heavy.

I try to maintain a mmo mix in my gas, i am also using up some older FP that i will use from time to time also.

Between the ARX, the LC, FP and MMO i have a very well running Jeep now. There used to be a flat spot at around 60 ish and now it is gone. The tranny shifted very hard into 3rd when cold, arx and a pan drop seems to have "cured" that.

When i changed the oil to the mmo mixture i did not have the "wow my Jeep is running so much smoother" feeling like so many others. Yes it started very smoothly when it was 4 out a couple/few weeks ago. It did run smooth, im not sure if i noticed a drastic difference though. Chances are winter gas was making its way to the pumps at the same time i did this also, not sure if that means much.

I have to say, my Jeep is not able to maintain 75mph on the hw without pressing more into the gas pedal. I cannot pass people from 55-65 with the same ease as i was previously. It started this morning as easily as it did 2 days ago and idled just as smooth too. The motor actually "sounds" less tappy to me too.

I did just fill up at a "generic" gas station that i really normally dont go to, and added mmo to the fillup on the same day as the oil change.

I dont know what all this means, but i will fill up at mobil in a couple days, and if the jeep still seems to be driving the same, almost as if i am driving into a very heavy wind, i am going to drain a quart and put in a quart of MMO.

Not trying to start any kind of additive dispute, i really could care less what makes my jeep run well and makes me happy, ill put peanut butter in it if it shows results.

I find alot of value from this site, mostly as a lurker and learner. Chaos over additives really detracts from the meaning of bitog.

As far as MMO in the gas, during the wintertime I like to run 5 ounces of MMO to 10 gallons of gasoline, I just think it helps with the winter blend gasoline.

I remember adding MMO to my car 500 miles before my OCI and the car seemed to run smoother and it was more responsive, when I changed the oil I did not add any MMO, I took the car for a drive around the block, and I came back and drained some oil and added about 16 ounces of MMO.

Without MMO, the engine was not as smooth or responsive, my engine just seems to like MMO. I think we need to realize that others using MMO may or may not feel a difference when they put some in there engine.

I just want to caution everyone, if you decide to use MMO, make sure you only use between 10% to 25% of your oil voume with MMO, and also keep an eye on your oil level, if it goes down, just add more oil, as this seems to be a one time thing, at least it was for me.

Originally Posted By: EricF
the problem to me sounds more like a fuel pump not pushing enough pressure, which could be a fuel filter at fault or a pressure regulator (which iirc is integrated into the fuel filter) or the fuel pump itself.

I think everything is functioning properly, it isnt a HUGE difference, but when you know your vehicle you get to know how much pedal to use to maintain a certain highway speed ect.

Maybe the jeep has too much winter [censored] on it, ill drive it through the car wash soon :) They say vehicles run better when they are clean

C3PO i think i am coming to the same observation you are describing.

Originally Posted By: c3po

Without MMO, the engine was not as smooth or responsive, my engine just seems to like MMO. I think we need to realize that others using MMO may or may not feel a difference when they put some in there engine.

MMO thin out the oil, therefore your engine is running smoother/quieter with it ? To verify this, just use thinner oil (from 5W30 to 5W20 as example) in the next OCI.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: c3po

MMO thin out the oil, therefore your engine is running smoother/quieter with it ? To verify this, just use thinner oil (from 5W30 to 5W20 as example) in the next OCI.

At this time I do not agree with you, but I will take your suggestion on the next OCI, and I will see what happens.

I changed my oil this past Saturday. I used 3.5 qts of 10W30 and 18 ounces of MMO. I have a 4 qt sump and I don't think 2 ounces over will hurt anything. I just wanted to add a little more than 12.5% of the total sump capacity. If MMO thins my oil, I guess I am running a 8.5W30 now.

I have to say my engine is really running smooth and quiet and it definnitely has more power with the MMO in the oil. It took me a long time to believe adding anything to my oil was OK, but I agree with c3po that some people may get benefits and gains from MMO and others may not. For my truck it really has made a great improvement in how well my engine performs and it got rid of a vibration I had on a hot idle and really improved the way my truck runs right after a cold start. I used to have to "warm up" by driving half a mile or so and on MMO it doesn't need that.

MMO works for me. I use it in both the gas and oil. I hope those who do try it get the same and even better results.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
MMO works for me. I use it in both the gas and oil. I hope those who do try it get the same and even better results.

Sounds great!
There's a reason i've used it for so many years - it works...
Does it work as well for everyone? Unfortunately not, but sure doesn't hurt.

Im not trying to say that my jeep ran better or worse with the mmo. When i did the oil change and added it i didnt notice a dramatic difference, now that i did an oil change without it, i notice a difference maintaining highway speeds.

I have about a 1/4 tank of gas left and will fill up on Mobil to see how it runs at highway speeds.

I have a friend with a 98 Jeep who is complaining about problems with the vehicle idleing, runs like "[censored]" apparently. I have pursuaded him to give mmo a shot in the gas, and when he has the funds for an oil change he will add it to the oil also. I already know what the results will be, but it will be worth observing nonetheless.

Whatever my situation may be, the truth of the matter is i have a Jeep that runs extremenly well now with 136k miles on it. When i bought it with 123k it didnt run nearly as well as it does today. I have used a variety of additives and ended up with the results i have. All this is attributed to this site, and none of it was wasted money.

Originally Posted By: JBM

Maybe it would help if you got a cheap fuel pressure gauage from Harbor Freight and checked the fuel pressure while running and also read how it falls after the engine is turned off. I had a similar problem with my Dakota (not a Jeep but in the same neighborhood) and the fuel pressure while running was 49.5 psi, which is well within specs but soon as I shut it off the pressure fell to 25 psi in about 3 minutes. It's not supposed to fall past 30 psi in 5 minutes or longer. The fuel pressure regulator was bad, and after I replace the fuel pump which has the pump and reulator all in one unit, my truck runs a lot stronger now. I had to watch myself to keep it under 80 this morning coming to work on the turnpike. Before I changed the fuel pump my truck was pretty slow and lethargic, not as bad as what your Jeep sounds like but it was slow. You might also check the cat convertor and the O2's too, they can really affect performance if they are out of spec.

Oh, and yes I use MMO in the gas and oil, and it really helped wake up my truck. I may not always need it in the oil but I always add it at every fuel fill.

Just my .02.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back