Oil/ weight recommendations for 98 Saturn SL

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 quart nearly every 5,000 miles is like no consumption at all for a Saturn. +1 on the re-post.

And it's all Amsoil European 5w-40?

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I have tried all kinds of things to reduce oil consumption. At a little over 200,000 miles I think I found a cheap way to reduce oil consumption on my Saturn. I installed a fixed orifice PCV Valve purchased at AutoZone for $2.99 plus tax. I no longer get the billows of smoke at full throttle getting up to highway speed. I am using less oil, but need more time to determine how much. Details here.

I put one of those in my Son's SL2. Hard to say if it's made any difference or not, I'm also topping it up with HDEO, a little thicker. Does seem to be down a bit.

Also using SLCraig's idea and doing an Italian tune-up once a month when I take it out for a couple hours of highway driving.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
1 quart nearly every 5,000 miles is like no consumption at all for a Saturn. +1 on the re-post.

Yes, Euro 5w-40 since purchased.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Yes, Euro 5w-40 since purchased.

And as others have pointed out you can get decent oil consumption using the specified oil grade.

^I'd actually be VERY curious to see what even Euro 5w-30 would yield, being close to a 40 itself.

I'm sure a lot of us are following tpitcher's Saturn to see if oil consumption changes while on PU 5w-30 for life(for the time being).
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back