Oil Type/Brand Change: BMW 325XI and Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings. New member and (gulp) first post here.

I have an 02 3-series BMW with 120K, and a 06 Tacoma with 51K. I am the sole owner of the Tacoma, and I bought the BMW @ 88K.

The BMW has always gotten Mobile 1 5W-30 synthetic with a Delco filter, approximately ever 5K. The Tacoma gets regular Mobil 5W-30 and a Delco filter, approximately ever 4K. I'm not doing my own changes since I have a trusted shop down the street.

I do a lot of work on my own vehicles and want them to last. Hence, I have started doing UOA on the Tacoma and have done UOA on the transmission fluid on the BMW, but not the oil yet. I am strongly considering switching both vehicles to AMSoil (European Car Formula 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil for the BMW; SAE 5W-30 XL Extended Life Synthetic Motor Oil for the Tacoma) and am looking for input from all you guys that know much more than I do. My main questions are:

(1) Is it foolish to change oil type/brand on a higher mileage engine? The BMW engine (M54 series) is tough and wears well so I am guessing, 'no'.
(2) I would run the oil longer, say probably 8K. I'm guessing I'd best do a filter change and top off the oil mid-way through that oil change interval.
(3) Is going to AMSoil overkill when I am already using Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic in the BMW?

Welcome to BITOG!
Originally Posted By: SteveP

(1) Is it foolish to change oil type/brand on a higher mileage engine?

No, it's not foolish. It's actually a good thing since M1 5w-30 that you're currently using doesn't meet the BMW LL-01 spec which you're supposed to be using.

Quote:
(2) I would run the oil longer, say probably 8K. I'm guessing I'd best do a filter change and top off the oil mid-way through that oil change interval.

In the BMW, it shouldn't be a problem extending the OCI to 8K miles if you're using an approved LL-01 oil, but it still would not hurt to do a UOA just to see how things are doing. The only time I would not suggest such longer OCI is if you were doing a lot of short trip driving where the oil doesn't get a chance to properly warm up and burn off moisture.

The mid way oil filter change is not necessary at all.

Quote:

(3) Is going to AMSoil overkill when I am already using Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic in the BMW?

That particular Amsoil Euro 5w-30 is less than ideal for US conditions due to our gasoline not being ultra low sulfur. That oil has a low starting TBN (5.8), and I'd be a little concerned whether it can actually make it to 8K miles, but again, a UOA may help answer that.

There are a number of LL-01 approved oils out there, and I would probably use one of them instead: M1 0w-40, Syntec 0w-30 (GC), Syntec 5w-40, Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40, to name a few.

Tacoma sounds fine on the M1, but extend the OCI based on the results of the UOA. My guess is you could easy go 8k mile OCI's, but that depends on driving style and UOA result. Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra is a favorite around here, so if you wanted to change then go for one of them.

The BMW should get a different oil like M1 0w-40 of GC 0w-30. Both of these meet Euro specs and BMW Longlife and are cheaper than the Amsoil. I personally like GC and it is on sale at AZ right now until the 9th. Don't use the [censored] Fram filter they make you buy to get the sale price.

and have done UOA on the transmission fluid on the BMW,

What did it look like and how many miles on this particular UOA? What was the history of ATF changes on this car?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
and have done UOA on the transmission fluid on the BMW,

What did it look like and how many miles on this particular UOA? What was the history of ATF changes on this car?

The analysis revealed that the fluid tested virtually new. I even got a call from Blackstone. A check with the place I bought it from confirmed that they change out the tranny fluid as part of their pre-sale maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Welcome to BITOG!

(1) Is it foolish to change oil type/brand on a higher mileage engine?

No, it's not foolish. It's actually a good thing since M1 5w-30 that you're currently using doesn't meet the BMW LL-01 spec which you're supposed to be using.

I need to call the shop; I might be mistaken on the 5W-30; those guys are good and so I imagine they would definitely be using spec oil.

I need to call the shop; I might be mistaken on the 5W-30; those guys are good and so I imagine they would definitely be using spec oil.

You'd be surprised how little most shops know or care about engine oil. FYI, when I bought my 530i, it had M1 5w-30 in there, too. Not a tragedy per se, but in the long run you should probably be using an oil with somewhat higher HT/HS, which is what the LL-01 spec is partly about.

Mobil 1 0w-40 for the BMW, pretty much anything that says "5w-30" in the Tacoma. If you're doing 4000 mile oil changes just use dino in the Tacoma.

Try the BMW longlife from the dealer, I think list is 7.42, so its cheaper than the M1 and youre going with a manufacturer recommendation. A few of our customers with 330i/330ci/ZHP use the 15/50 in the summer and notice alot quieter and smoother startups, no tapping or ticking from VANOS or lifters. In the winter we swap in a quality 5/40 or sometimes 5/50 when its on sale. Whos making the Delco filter? Id just go OEM or Mann/Mahle/Hengst, you know they can make it 15-18k so Im sure 8k is no problem.

I did not detail driving habits for these vehicles if that makes a difference (yes, I know it does!).

The Tacoma gets run 10-11K per year. Much if it is 3.5 miles away to sit at the airport for a few days while I'm out flying.

The BMW is my wife's daily driver, and gets maybe 14K per year, 10 miles one way 2x per day to work + other driving.

Welcome to BITOG!

The M1 5W-30 you're running in the BMW is perfectly fine.
I'm not one of those BMW owners that insist on using only BMW approved oils. Virtually all are heavier than necessary for NA driving conditions and the way your wife drives. The lightest BMW spec' oil happens to be the Castrol made BMW 5W-30. The following 1,900 mile UOA of that oil:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...605#Post2218605

If you want to try an extended drain oil I'd suggest M1's 5W-30 EP. Either way, to determine how long you can run any oil you'll need to have a UOA done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back