Oil to quiet engine down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hardcore302
I don't know if I want to go from a 5w-20 to a 10w-40. Isn't the VCT oil pressure sensitive?

They say it is. If your problem is the cam phaser, see if there is any evidence that this will cause a long term problem in the valve system, or just a nusince to hear.

Last edited:
I don't know if I want to go from a 5w-20 to a 10w-40. Isn't the VCT oil pressure sensitive?

I do not have direct experience with VCT, do with Totoyas VVT. Think its the same philosophy. Will share it maybe helpful. There are other contributors such as mechanical failure but regarding oil pressure - if you lack enough initial oil pressure to move the (phaser?) to is low speed position, you may experience a startup tick, or a tick in general until you reach the speed the (phaser?) is positioned for at the time. I would try slightly thicker, a 5w-30, see what happens.

Agreed. Try a 5W-30 and see if it has any impact on the noise.

Personally, I wouldn't jump straight to a 10W-40. In fact, I think I'd live with VCT noise before using a 10W-40.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: beast3300
I think there is a TSB that Ford said to use 10w40 Motorcraft to quiet those down. Any Ford guys out there with more info on this?

dealerr.jpg

Originally Posted By: tig1
A friend recently had his replaced. His dealer said 40wt would make the phasers more noisey. Also the dealer said the noise would not shorten the engine life.
21.gif

I would say his dealer is unaware of Oasis Special Service Message 21217.

That service message is no longer valid on PTS so ford has repealed it for some reason.

I have a 4.6 2v and had some noise running Motorcraft 5/20. I switched over to PP 5/30 and it's a lot quieter. On mine I think it was the cam chains making the noise (not sure). It's all quiet now though.

My next change is QSUD, but after that I was wondering: What would be a good oil to quiet down the motor some?

High moly and what else?

This thing is noisy...

hardcore302,

I tried long ago Quaker State "Q" synthetic and it did a wonderful job of killing the early morning valve tappet issue in my 01' Dodge Durango very well. Every time I started the engine it was super quiet. I never had that happen to me when I used Mobil 1.

I also have heard the issue might be your oil filter so perhap you might look into that as well. I use Puralator as I read they make filters for Chrysler engines.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back