Oil suggestions needed for a Ferrari 348

Yes, manual states 10W40 but that was 10W40 in 1992. The main goal is to reduce leaking/seeping of oil. So I am trying to go thicker. I have considered 50W oils but, on the other end, this engine does rev high and generate a high oil pressure so I don't know if I want to get crazy with the high temp thickness. Plus, I have heard really thick oils drive up oil temperature due to the reduced flow.

In the thread posted above, someone said ester based oils are bad for these engines. First I have heard of that.
Esters act a seal swellers. High Mileage oils or Redline are possible alternatives. Of course seal replacement is the obvious choice but that's $$$.

You guys have made me dig deeper and I think I am leaning toward a 15W50 now. I am looking at M1, Motul 2100 and Redline.

Last edited:
You guys have made me dig deeper and I think I am leaning toward a 15W50 now. I am looking at M1, Motul 2100 and Redline.
And I have added Royal Purple HPS 20W50 and Amsoil ZRF 20W50 as these are close to 15W50. The RP, in particular, is quite thin.

From thinnest to thickest they are M1 15W50, RP HPS 20W50, Motul 2100 15W50, Redline 15W50 and Amsoil ZRF 20W50.

I got a strange email back from Amsoil that said they have no recommended oils for my car. Perhaps I should take their word...

Sorry, jumping in late on this...I'd be careful with using M1 15w-50. At cold start, you will see some possibly very high oil pressures. I did on my F355 that made me uncomfortable, dumped it and went back to M1 0w-40. The M1 15w-50 was okay in my 308 and 328...but still rather high (but the 308 spec'd a AGIP semi synth 5w-50 in the manual and I think the 328 was an AGIP full synth 10w-40) . Most Ferrari shops will recommend the Shell used currently in V8 Ferraris which is the Shell/Pennzoil 5w-40 Euro. Castrol Edge 0W-40 is probably a good option as well. There is really no reason to use a 50 viscosity unless you can deal with a long warm up period and/or are regularly tracking the car. Remember to keep the revs below 4k until oil temp is 170F or above...it's in every Ferrari owner's manual since at least the 1970s.

I just wanted to ask why you don't like Shell Rotella? I'm assuming you mean T6. I use it in my track car (a mostly stock Toyota 86) and it's an absolutely fantastic oil. A lot of the Porsche and BMW guys use it. I've done tons of UOA and it comes through shining every time...even after repeated abuse at 285 degrees.

I use the 0w40 because I got it on sale but I'm pretty sure they have 5,10,and15w40 on offer. Great oil.

Can’t add much but wonder why people seem to be huge fans of HDEOs in older exotics. I recall a thread about the car wizard using Rotella T4 and T6 in some of Hoovie’s Lamborghinis (iirc Countach and Diablo) and plenty of people liked that.

Any particular reason why something like Rotella would be a better fit for an engine like this instead of M1 Euro 0/5w40 or Castrol Edge Euro?

SuperTech synthetic. Super Tech or Fram OC filter. Works in my wife's Italian SUV w a Ferrari sourced twin turbo engine and is a daily driver. Works in my Italian toy w a Cambiocorsa manual. I use bulk oil--cheapest I can buy meeting specs and cheapest jobber filters I can source in everything and my fleet runs literally millions of miles a year. Save your money for repairs and towing--because it will happen often. My company (towing company w a retail service center) tows for the local Lambo dealership and the other Italian brands--Fiat, Alfa, Masarati and many Ferrraris for the local club. They are my best customers overall then the British car owners, followed by German cars. I would have gone out of biz if it were not for European cars!!!! (BTW the min hook up for a Ferrari, Lambo or Masarati is between $350-$500 and $15.00 per mile towed) For comparison a Ford or Honda or Chevy is $75-$95 and $3.50 to $6.00 per mile.

Last edited:
Back