Oil suggestions needed for a Ferrari 348

As my car has over 80k miles, I have been looking at thicker options. My first inclination is to just go with Redline 10W40 (97 CSt at 40C, 15.1 CSt at 100C and an HTHS of 4.4 CP) as Redline is typically a bit thicker than most and it is great oil. But I did more digging to see what else might be an option. I have always been skeptical of Amsoil but their 10W40 is actually a bit thicker (103.4 CSt at 40C, 15.7 CSt at 100C and an HTHS of 4.4 CP). I couldn't find any other options that were comparable. However, there are some 15W40 oils out there. The problem is that most of them are for Diesel engines. That doesn't mean they won't work well in a gas engine. Some do. The most commonly used is Shell Rotella but I am not a fan. Redline does have a 15W40 racing oil but it is actually thinner than the 10W40, which is odd. Of the Diesel oils, I ended up coming back to Amsoil again. Their Max Duty 15W40 looks like a good option. (112.4 CSt at 40C, 15.6 CSt at 100C and an HTHS of 4.5 CP) Their Heavy Duty 15W40 is also pretty thick. (112.7 CSt at 40C, 15.5 CSt at 100C and an HTHS of 4.7 CP) This last one should be particularly good at not shearing down to thinner viscosities over time.

Any experience with trying these 15W40 diesel oils? Anyone have a UOA on any of these oils?

Apparently the shop manual states 10w40. So just about any modern 40w Euro spec oil should be fine. This engine doesn't make massive power (296 hp).

Yes, manual states 10W40 but that was 10W40 in 1992. The main goal is to reduce leaking/seeping of oil. So I am trying to go thicker. I have considered 50W oils but, on the other end, this engine does rev high and generate a high oil pressure so I don't know if I want to get crazy with the high temp thickness. Plus, I have heard really thick oils drive up oil temperature due to the reduced flow.

In the thread posted above, someone said ester based oils are bad for these engines. First I have heard of that.

Because ester is a great cleaning agent and will clean out deposits that were laid down ages/miles ago, which may do more harm than good.

+1 on the Motul Sport 5w40 or 5w50. I wouldn't consider these "too thick" to cause pressure or temp issues, plus I believe they're full synth so pumpability should be no concern.

Unrelated: got a few pics of the old girl?

Since you have oil seepage/leaks have you tried a High Mileage oil? Many 10w-40 oils available that are also High Mileage. I'm using Quaker State HM 10w-40 in my Rx7.

Because ester is a great cleaning agent and will clean out deposits that were laid down ages/miles ago, which may do more harm than good.

+1 on the Motul Sport 5w40 or 5w50. I wouldn't consider these "too thick" to cause pressure or temp issues, plus I believe they're full synth so pumpability should be no concern.

Unrelated: got a few pics of the old girl?
348_3.jpg

I will continue to look at the 50W oils. Supposedly, the last full service was done two years ago and replacing all seals is usually part of that. I am not 100% sure where the leaks are but they shouldn't be from the cam/crank seals or the valve cover gaskets.

Full synthetic Rotella T6 or Delvac Extreme 15w40

Any full synthetic 10w40 motorcycle oil

Does NY weather need hths or thicker cst? Or oil temps excessive? Oil psi low?

m1 0w40

one of the few off the shelf oils known to clean up light sludge. if you don’t have a consumption problem use it, doesn’t matter if you have 8k miles or 800k

Leaks? BMW 10w60

Otherwise, any synthetic 10w40 with either hyperlube zincreplacementadditive or lubegard biotech....might get some seal conditioning from either ester additives

Leaks lead to under bonnet engine fires

Thick oils don't drive up oil temps.
Don't believe the negative ester comments.

She's a beauty! If most of the seals have been replaced, then I concur with others that a good quality synth 10w40 oil is perfectly fine.

I've heard that the M1 0w40 can sometimes burn off, as it may be a bit thin. I'd go no thinner than 5w40 if it was mine. Oh if.....!

Enjoy it! Italian cars benefit from meticulous maintenance and the Italian tune-up.

Back