Oil/OCI recommendation - 07 Chevy Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

Just wanted to preface this by saying I've been lurking a while but had a question and thought I'd pose it to the board since there's quite a few knowledgeable folks on here.

I'm going to be moving from the Dallas/Fort Worth area to west Texas in a few months where it's quite a bit more dusty than it is here, and I've always heard that you should change your oil more often in a dusty area. Is that something I should follow or not worry about it as much?

I currently run synthetic oil in my Silverado and change it when the OLM gets down to around 10% or so, but now I'm thinking that after the move I may switch to dino oil with a 3500-4000 mile OCI due to the dustier conditions (reading this site has made me change my mind about dino oils, I had no idea they could perform as well as they now do).

Thanks for the advice and I look forward to interacting with you all more!

As long as your air intake system does not have any leaks, I would not worry too much about the dusty conditions. Instead, change your air filter more frequently and perform an oil analysis to make sure everything checks out. I would continue with the synthetic and change it at your normal interval of around 10% on the OLM.

By the way,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
As long as your air intake system does not have any leaks, I would not worry too much about the dusty conditions. Instead, change your air filter more frequently and perform an oil analysis to make sure everything checks out. I would continue with the synthetic and change it at your normal interval of around 10% on the OLM.

By the way,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

+!
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the recommendations...now here's another dumb question.

My truck has a little over 50,000 miles on it now, and I've been running Royal Purple in it since it was somewhere between the 25,000 and 30,000 mile mark. I'm for sure not using RP anymore due to the cost of it, but was curious if you guys think that switching to conventional would cause any potential problems at my current mileage, or if I should just stick with a synthetic (most likely M1, PP, or QSUD).

My driving pattern usually consists of something like 70% city / 30% highway/interstate, with around 5 mile stop & go trips pretty much every Monday-Friday (back & forth to work or running errands), and most of the freeway driving usually occurs on the weekends. I don't usually get on the throttle too hard unless I'm on the freeway & need to get on it to avoid getting run off the road or something.

As long as your going by the OLM pretty much any API SM/SN 5W-30 is up to the task. That said I just feel a little better at 30% with Conventional. On the other hand any Name Brand Synthetic to 0%.

As stated make sure your air filtration system is up to spec.

Last edited:
I live in west TX and the dust is nothing to be concerned with. The only exception might be if you were farming and on dirt raods all the time. Also, changing air filters will not help anything but may actually do more harm to your engine. A dirty filter, filters better than a clean, new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back