Oil in the Desert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I am very new here but was directed here by a coworker. I have an 85 K20 Suburban that I just had a Goodwrench 350 installed in and want to get at least 315K miles out of this engine like I did with the original. The conditions here are very dusty and temperatures exceed 120F for weeks at a time. I want to use a good quality oil and filter which will be changed evry 3000 due to the extreme temps and dust present here.
I just changed the break in oil after 1000 miles like my mechanic intructed. Went with Valvoline Premium Conventional 10w30 and a PureOne quart size filter. Any thoughts on an alternative conventional or something synthetic. Appreciate the input.

You'd be better off adding and Amsoil EAA air filter to start with, to keep the dust out of the oil.

No but they are worth it. So are their EaO oil filters.

What did you use to get the last 315K on it and were you living in the same place?

Castol 20w50, Purolator oil filters, K&N air filter. Changed the oil every 3-4K. I bought the truck with 70K on it in 1994. Been here 5.5 years and put 100K on the engine here, probably 20K minimum off pavement. And I have consistently done 20% of my mileage off pavement since I bought the truck. The rest is a 350 mile(hwy) round trip every other week or so for groceries. Previously the truck has been in West Texas and Eastern Utah(similar heat/dust issues).

Bought the Valvoline because it was a couple bucks cheaper in the big jug than Castrol and it's a USA company.

The mechanic who did the work does only Chevy's in Vegas. I asked him dino v synthetic and he suggested conventional since he likes the 3000 mile change cycle because Death Valley is one of the toughest places for engines there is in the country heat wise.

A few years ago Amsoil promoted their long-life air filters by saying that the dirtier they were, the more efficiently they filtered. Apparently having a one inch layer of dirt stuck to the outside of the media was the way to go.

No one pushes that technique anymore.

I'd rather have both filtration AND airflow myself.

The new Amsoil air filters seems to be excellent products.

Originally Posted By: MojaveK20
The mechanic who did the work does only Chevy's in Vegas. I asked him dino v synthetic and he suggested conventional since he likes the 3000 mile change cycle because Death Valley is one of the toughest places for engines there is in the country heat wise.

I lived right outside Death Valley for three years, Ridgecrest CA.

I wouldn't have dared use a conventional oil in that environment considering that synthetic oils offer so much more stability and protection.

Amsoil is the way to go, in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: tsmay51
What you used seems to work. Why change?

He had to install a new engine for some good reason, I'm sure.
Maybe if he upgrades to the good stuff he can push it out even farther. :)

Originally Posted By: tsmay51
What you used seems to work. Why change?

Synthetic oil offers better protection with that type of conditions. I do know some commercial vehicles that used Castrol 20w-50 with 3-5K OCI. These were heavy load vans and yes they did make it out there in the 200K+. Many are switching to synthetic oil and they do like it. Less oil changes and they feel better performance and protection with synthetic oil. They also stated their engines are cleaner with synthetic oil application. A cleaner engine runs cooler. OCI is every six months 10K-12K.

Oil pressure at 55-60 was 30lbs, 17-20 at idle, which isnt bad. Using almost a quart or so every 1000 miles. Compression was down but even in all 8 cylinders. I rode this truck hard for 245K and wanted a new long block so I had absolute reliability since it is my only vehicle. A rebuild would have been more expensive and more down time than getting the GR 350. Replacing other parts too, so I have a new old truck.

For something readily available, M1 TDT 5w40 is probably a very good choice. Or if you can get Delvac 1, same deal.

For filters you could go with the Amsoil EaO, Mobil 1, Purolator PureONE.... or even just a WIX. all good filters.

Originally Posted By: MojaveK20
Hey, I am very new here but was directed here by a coworker. I have an 85 K20 Suburban that I just had a Goodwrench 350 installed in and want to get at least 315K miles out of this engine like I did with the original. The conditions here are very dusty and temperatures exceed 120F for weeks at a time. I want to use a good quality oil and filter which will be changed evry 3000 due to the extreme temps and dust present here.
I just changed the break in oil after 1000 miles like my mechanic intructed. Went with Valvoline Premium Conventional 10w30 and a PureOne quart size filter. Any thoughts on an alternative conventional or something synthetic. Appreciate the input.

Are you planning to go another 300K. Your vehicle is 23 years old, hows the frame doing. Also was the transmission rebuilt and how long will that last.

My point was these commercial heavy load vans were on dino oil and didn't believe or most weren't using synthetic oil in that time period. Now they have switch they see the benefits using synthetic oil. The aren't going back to dino oil. It all makes sense to them.

Most use Amsoil and I do know a few using Redline. They are a believer in synthetic oil application.

Planning another 300K. Frame is fine. Nothing bent, nothing broken. Will have the SM465 rebuilt when it goes but it shows no sign of that happening.

Nice trans:engine combo there.

You need to do a UOA to determine just what your airborne abrasive level is (and other stuff).

Have you considered maybe a synthetic blend, like Schaeffer's? I think that would serve you very well for the driving that you do and offer some more protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back