oil in spark plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 91 accord and recently i changed the waterpump, belts, and timming. i noticed that i have oil in the spark plug so i changed all the gaskets.

a little after i noticed that i still had oil leaking into there i dont know why. i used OEM gaskets. can anyone help? i tried to take the oil out and then look again later and still it sits there with oil...

thanks

alot of valve cover gaskets require solicone sealant around the spark plug holes, and at various points around the external area, like right angles and the cam humps.

so even though its not reconmended at all i should just put some silicone sealant? darn, if its been 3 months does that mean i have to replace the main gasket and the gaskets for the screws that hold the head down again?>

If I remember it right, the Accord valve cover gasket set will come with four o-ring style gaskets for the spark plug area along with the valve cover gasket itself. These o-ring style gaskets are used to seal off the spark plugs (they seal between the valve cover and the cylinder head). Also, just a little silicone sealant at the point where the valve cover gasket meets the area of the hump at the camshaft. Make sure the sealant is safe for oxygen sensors. Hope this helps.

[ May 29, 2003, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: Jakebrake ]

thanks man. rtv silicone sealent good its blue rtv "silicone gasket maker" and its sensor safe..this one is made by permatex...glad i saved it.

so i guess ill put a small amount on the top and bottom of that seal for the spark plug right?

ok what about my other seals and washers. every time u take off the valve cover u should replace them all. if it has been 4 months since i changed the gaskets, should i have to change them again or can i use the same gaskets (main gasket im talking about and the 4 screws that hold the valve cover in place).

thanks.

I would go ahead and change out the gaskets if they have been in service for that long. They have probably taken a set from the heating of the engine and being under pressure. Get the gasket set that comes with the little o-ring style gaskets for the spark plug recesses. I got one at AutoZone when I fixed a leaky valve cover for a friends 94 Accord. Good luck.

thanks. ill probably buy new gaskets but ill go to honda instead. they dont sell it as a kit though a-holes. its a pain to take off my valve cover, i have to take off the timming cover that requires me to take off 1 motor mount parly and dig for a screw.

in maybe 2 weeks when i find time...now im working on my moms van that hasa the wrong filter but cannot find the right one as u can see in the oil filter forum. haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back