Oil getting dark fast in new Mazdas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a turbo charged engine, I'm sure it dumps a ton of fuel like any other turbo engine? 10k? why ?

Then add to the fact that people are increasing boost and doing whatever other mods are hot for these cars..

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't mean that it is being "used up". I have 2 UOA's one where the oil was Golden in colour and "new" looking and the other looked liked used Diesel engine oil. The Golden on had a TBN of below 1.0 and the Diesel had about 5 on the TBN and suitable for continued use.

Can't judge by the colour... Only by the UOA.
wink.gif

More frequent changes.

Why run something that is proving to be hard on oil at extended intervals?

Cheap insurance...........

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Doesn't mean that it is being "used up". I have 2 UOA's one where the oil was Golden in colour and "new" looking and the other looked liked used Diesel engine oil. The Golden on had a TBN of below 1.0 and the Diesel had about 5 on the TBN and suitable for continued use.

wink.gif

Yup, color means little.

My Mazda CX 7 also looks dark at 3,000 miles. I have also had UOAs done (last at 18,000 mile). The UOA was were good using my 6,000 mile OCI with PP5w30 & OEM or Wix filters. Not to be too concerned.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

wink.gif

Do you have any pics to go with the UOA results?

EC 5w30 + turbo heat = running on the ragged edge. That's always been my take on it, and why most turbo owners wouldnt do it. Add DI to the equation, and that's just insult to injury.

Whatever float's your boat though- people are so afraid of theoretical bureaucratic "warranty" boogeymen, that theyre blindsided to the real, tangeable threats. Put that oil on the BBQ test even against a conventional 15w40 HDEO, and you'll see which one gets dark the quickest. It's a sign of oxidative stress, despite TBN being good to the blazes.
49.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back