Oil for my 2.4L Turbo 400hp Daily Driven Nissan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I've long been a lurker here at BITOG, trying to wrap my head around the earth's lubricant...and figure out which one to put in my car's engine.

Motor Spec:
2.4L KA24DE-T
DOHC Shim on bucket
Borg Warner S256 turbo (15-25psi)
Wiseco 9:1 forged pistons .0035" clearance
Wiseco rings with .018", .022" ring gap
ACL coated bearings
400-500hp
Oil Cooler w/180 degree thermostat bypass
I tuned it myself for stoich cruise and 11.5:1 AFR on full throttle. Still gets 25mpg if I'm nice.

I usually just putt around in this car since I'd be in jail or dead if I actually drove it hard on the street. However, I do go to street legal drags and would like to do a couple of track sessions next year.

I'm looking for an oil that will be suitable for the oil-lubricated and oil-cooled journal bearing Borg Warner turbo. The motor also has the shim on bucket cams, which I recall reading requires a bit more of the phos and zinc content (correct me if I'm wrong).

Please advise. Thinking about the Mobil 1 15w-50, and Amsoil 10w-40 for spring and 20w-50 for summer and racing.

Is there a specific oil that is great with fuel dilution, heat, journal bearing turbos and shim on bucket cams?

Thanks,
Nate

Wow, the lag must be horrible with that! The biggest issue is density. The more dense the powerplant is, the more intrinsic issues there will be when it is not purpose-built.

So, the key is to keep it clean and cool. Good flow characteristics, and good film strength for when under boost, since that is some severe strain.

I'd say that you are a good candidate for redline. Id also consider HDEO 5w-40 synthetics. At minimum Id want an ACEA A3 xw-30 or xw-40 syn oil in there

Dont forget about the rest of the drivetrain, which is sure to be a headache of a weak link at some point.

I would use any full synthetic 15w50 or 20w50 year round. Just be gentle with it cold until the fluids come up to temp.

What oil mods do you have? cooler? filter? pump? ...

Thank you for the tips. I am now looking at RL 5w-40 for winter and 10w-40 for summer.

I dont drive the car hard when its cold or raining (re: winter) so I guess the 5w-40 would be OK. I can also get it locally so it's not like I have to order it in.

What would the OCI look like? I would like to get 3000mi...

BTW full boost is at 3600 RPM.

Only UOA can tell you that... Id be doing them for sure even now.

If full boost is 3600 when is full torque? 3600? Higher? lower? Have any dyno charts of your engine? Would love to see how the power profile looks on such a monster output from such a small engine!

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Yes he can as long as it is a full synthetic.

At -30C
lol.gif

I'm actually in Vancouver so it's similar weather to Oregon and Washington. Rarely do we get snow.

I ended up going with Redline 15w-40. Couldn't get the 5w-40 at my local parts store so this seemed like the next best compromise.

BTW peak torque is 4000RPM and peak HP is 6000RPM with 7000RPM redline. This is on stock cams.

I will do a UOA at 3000 miles. Does anyone know of a good place in BC or Canada?

Quite a few people have run Shell Rotella T 5W-40 without problems in the KA24DE. If it will still flow at the cold temperatures you will see, It could be used year round. As for the turbo do you have a turbo timer? OR have you increased capacity and add an oil cooler?

I think the KA is still compatible with the ford small block oil filter.
I don't use fram its just easy to get these specs from their web site.
FRAM PH8A (ford mid 80's 5.0 V8 crown vic or mustang)
Gasket I.D. 2.42"
Gasket O.D. 2.8"
Gasket Thickness .2"
Gasket Usage Base
Product Height 5.14"
Product I.D. 3/4-16 Th'd
Product O.D. 3.8"
Relief Valve Setting PSI 12

FRAM PH3682 (KA24DE)
Gasket I.D. 2.47"
Gasket O.D. 2.75"
Gasket Thickness .19"
Gasket Usage Base
Product Height 4.08"
Product I.D. 3/4-16 Th'd
Product O.D. 2.98"

You could get one of the remote oil filter block off plates for an 80's mustang with the 5.0 V8. Then add two larger oil filters and an oil cooler. Depending on the volume of the new oil filters you may add around a quart of extra oil capacity.

-Dime

Originally Posted By: dimedriver

I think the KA is still compatible with the ford small block oil filter.
I don't use fram its just easy to get these specs from their web site.
FRAM PH8A (ford mid 80's 5.0 V8 crown vic or mustang)
Gasket I.D. 2.42"
Gasket O.D. 2.8"
Gasket Thickness .2"
Gasket Usage Base
Product Height 5.14"
Product I.D. 3/4-16 Th'd
Product O.D. 3.8"
Relief Valve Setting PSI 12

No. That wont fit, what he wants to use is T6 with a pureone PL20195.

The ford style remote oil filter block off plate will fit.
The gasket surface on the KA Block is withen the gasket surface of the Ford Filter. And they both use the same threads.

I only used FRAM web site to get the measurements I WOULD NOT USE A FRAM FILTER.

This will allow for two very large oil filters placed remotely. There would be no interference issues with the steering or the chassis.

-Avery

Great info thanks for sharing!

I already have an oil cooler on a 180 degree thermostat sandwich adapter...but I might try one of those Ford filters!

Cheers,
Nate

Does the KA motor require a 40W oil? I am curious to why everyone is going with a 40W? Are the tolerences such in the engine that it would require it? I would think Redline 5/30 or 10/30 should be all you need, unless you race this vehicle regularly. If the engine tolerences are such that it needs a 40W then by all means, is that the case here? If your running an oil cooler as well, is this turbo Water cooled? or just Oil cooled? If oil cooled only, then the Turbo Timer would indeed be a good idea. Oil and Water cooled, skip it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back