Oil for LS1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna put some fresh oil in the LS1.What do you fellow LS1 peeps run in your motors? Thinking either Mobil 1, Pennz Platinum or Castrol Syntec. Have Synpower with a K&N filter now.What filters do you run also?

I used to run M1 (10W-30) in my LS1, but switched to German Castrol (0W-30 as mentioned above) about 5 years ago. I am much happier with GC over M1. I've switched my other vehicles to Penzoil Platinum (another good oil), but the Z will continue to get GC because of it's thicker characteristics. I go with one year OCIs, which works out to around 4k miles.

I would place non-GC Syntec in last place of the oils you mentioned.

Other than cost, it's hard to beat K&N oil filters. I use them when I can get them with an oil deal. I have heard M1 filters do filter exceptionally well, but are a bit restrictive for these engines (Internet word, I have no data to back that up). I also use Pureones with good results.

Originally Posted By: andersen
Gonna put some fresh oil in the LS1.What do you fellow LS1 peeps run in your motors? Thinking either Mobil 1, Pennz Platinum or Castrol Syntec. Have Synpower with a K&N filter now.What filters do you run also?

I was running Pennzoil Platinum but when Ultra came out I switched over to that. I've run a few different oil filters, the K&N, NAPA Gold, Wix, NAPA Nascar and most recently the Fram Extended Guard. Now that they sell Mobil 1 filters in Canada finally, I'm going to switch to them on my next oil change.

I currently have Pennzoil Platinum in my LS6 and will be using Ultra when I change it.

I also, run a K&N oil filter.

This car is only used for autocrossing and track days.

Last edited:
I've used GC, M1TrSUV in the 5w-40, YBP 5w-30, and Havoline DS 5w-30, that I recall. Throughout, I've been partial to Purolator filters.

Each of the oils I've used has produced good UOA results that are remarkably similar. Currently running through my stock of GC.

I use Castrol Edge 5W-30 in mine, switched from Mobil 1, lead numbers are lower and engine quieter.

I am switching to Penzoil Platinum for my other cars. Penzoil Ultra looks good, put it in my son's Infiniti G37.

Welcome to the forum. Why look beyond M1? Factory fill in Corvettes for a long time, and the standard by which all other syns are judged.

My 16K mile (now 24,500) LS1 would eat Mobile One. This car has had nothing put a pampered life from the time it was registered in August of 1999 to present day.

The same applies to my dad's 06 LS4, it just burned up Mobile One.

I took a switch over to German Castrol and cant be happier. My oil PSI went up, and no burning of ANY sort. I still get the piston slap upon start up till she gets warmed up. Oil PSI at WOT is past 60PSI, often hitting 70.

Go get some German Castrol.

3putter,

That's how I feel generally unless another brands price per quart is much lower than M1. Once my 08 Impala SS is out of warranty I might consider another brand but in the meantime the dealership offers M1 as an alternate so I pay it.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back