Oil for flathead briggs and stratton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a John Deere R70 rear engine riding mower with an 8 hp Briggs and Stratton flathead engine. Its a 1986 model. It needs a good carb cleaning but is in decent shape otherwise. Not sure if it burns oil yet, I haven't run it much and bought it only a few days ago. What would be a good oil to run in this splash lubed engine?

I run PYB 10w30 in my Deere Garden tractor with a 25 hp kohler, and in my Toro walk behind mower with 6 hp briggs.

My riding mower with a 12&1/2 HP Briggs reomends a 30 wt oil. I just get a HD 30 Wt oil from WalMarts. Mower runs good as always after 12 years.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
What would be a good oil to run in this splash lubed engine?

I run PYB 10w30 in my Deere Garden tractor with a 25 hp kohler, and in my Toro walk behind mower with 6 hp briggs.

Rotella straight 30wt. Walmart stocks it.

Don't use regular multi wt. passenger car oil.

Good Ole PYB Straight 30.

It is still rated SL = higher Zn/Phos than you will find in a multigrade SN rated passenger car 10-30.
I had a 1982 B&S 8 hp in a similar application, which quit 2 years ago (bad governor spring caused it to over-rev and burn a valve---> resulting in 50 lbs of compression).
You'll probably want to get a new foam air filter and a fuel filter for it. PartsTree has great prices

Thanks guys I'll probably go with the PYB HD-30.

Steve20, could you tell that the engine was overrevving? I wonder if your governor spring got stretched out somehow.

I use Rotella 15w40 in all my air cooled yard stuff,
Except the Generator, that gets 5w40.
My push mower with a Briggs 4.5HP loves it, and it's splash lube. Also it's a little over $3.00 @ Walmart.

Mobil 1 5W-30 HM. Works great! I have already noticed it is easier to pull start on this oil. Plus I always used to get smoke at start up (when sitting for a few day`s)on reg 30 weight. That is totally gone now.

We were just discussing this on another thread. If you read the specs of all the syn oils and the diesel rated fleet type oils, it's hard to beat M1HM 5w30. It is simply one very strong oil with a goog ad pack for air cooled small engines. If read further on oil, it now seems to indicate that the use of the lowest visc that will handle the load and temp is the way to go.

i use pyb 30 wt in my snow blower and my dad used that oil when he had it most of the time.
It is an allis charmers snow bee 4 hp b&s year built 1966
still runs strong but smokes a little

Originally Posted By: steve20
Good Ole PYB Straight 30.
You'll probably want to get a new foam air filter and a fuel filter for it. PartsTree has great prices

Really? I've never found PartsTree to have the cheapest price on anything I've shopped around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back