Vehicles we have:
1996 Ford F350 7.5L V8
2002 Ford F550 6.8L V10
2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 6.0L V8
2006 Chevy Express Cargo 1500 4.3L V8
2007 Chevy Equinox 3.4L V6
2007 Ford F350 5.4L V8
2009 GMC Sierra 3500 6.0L V8

I am trying to look for a good oil that I can change every 6 months. My concern is they idle most of the day going a max of 30 MPH around campus. Also each have a history of consuming oil here and there(about 1-3 quart duration of 6 months). I just want it to last the whole 6 months with NO or minimal consumption of oil.

P.S. I am located in Anchorage, Alaska. (Winter can get as low as -25F but ideally -5F and summers a high of 86F)

Originally Posted By: TedSexington
I just want it to last the whole 6 months with NO or minimal consumption of oil.

Usage can be caused by a multitude of factors -- has proper maintenance been performed on this fleet?

K. I see you have a variety of manufacturers who specify from 5w-20 to 5w-30.
Firstly is cost a huge issue. If not I would use devlac elite 222 0w-30.
It's an hdeo so I've got no doubt whatsoever it will last the 6 months you require. Its a 0w which means easy starts. Its available in 5 gallon pails from a distributor which should help with cost.
Do the vehicles stay outside all year long or are they parked indoors? If parked indoors overnight in a heated garage then you can use a conventional hdeo in the 10w-30 flavour.
If parked outside overnight and will be started cold then I'd pick the devlac elite 222 0w-30 first and foremost. If unavailable then a 5w-40 hdeo would work great too. I think devlac makes a 0w-40 hdeo too. They would be my first picks especially on the winter.
In the warmer summer months a 10w-30 conventional hdeo will be up to the 6 month interval.
But in the spirit of keeping it simple I'd shoot for a synthetic hdeo. Devlac 0w-30 or 0w-40 and get it in pails from a distributor. A 5w-40 would be fine too however your climate is very similar to us here in Saskatchewan and cold pumpability is a huge deal for us here which is why I'd go for a 0w hdeo.

These hdeo's will certainly curb consumption and will easily do your 6 month requirement. You can't beat synthetics in the extreme cold,and hdeo's tend to be at the thicker end of the grade which will help with fuel dilution.
Be sure that all the vehicles have an operational pcv valve. They are very important,especially in the winter months when fuel dilution is more prevalent as well as the cold temps affect the oils ability to evaporate off contaminants.

Last edited:
Clevy, I've seen you recommend Delvac 0w-30 to a handful of Americans off and on. It's not available in the U.S.

Back on topic. Rotella T5 10w-30 if they're parked inside and don't see terribly cold starts. Maxlife 5w-30 is a fine choice too, and better for cold starts.

Maxlife 10w-40 would discourage consumption.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Clevy, I've seen you recommend Delvac 0w-30 to a handful of Americans off and on. It's not available in the U.S.

Back on topic. Rotella T5 10w-30 if they're parked inside and don't see terribly cold starts. Maxlife 5w-30 is a fine choice too, and better for cold starts.

Maxlife 10w-40 would discourage consumption.

Really?
Not available at all? I find that very odd.

Alright. Thanks for the heads up Bandito.

Then I'd like to amend my recommendation to devlac 0w-40. That stuffs gotta be available in the states,isn't it?
And if they aren't available then rotella 5w-40.
A synthetic will certainly improve cold starts and an hdeo will run the 6 month interval including the extended idling which includes fuel dilution.

Last edited:
They are parked outside.

Also would Rotella T6 5w40 be a candidate or would Maxlife be a better option. Even though it is a synblend.

Maxlife isn't an hdeo,therefore I'd be concerned about the 6 month interval with all that idle time.
I'd look for the hdeo that is easily sourced with the best cold start specs.
Because of the idling you're sure to get fuel dilution so going up a grade to a 40 will actually thin to a 30 with extended idle times and lack of any ability to wind it out on the highway to evaporate the accumulation.
A 0w-30 hdeo would be ideal in my opinion but if unavailable then the 40 grade with the best cold start specs would be next.

Neither of the 0w HDEOs are available here. At least they weren't when I was trying to find some last year.

Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 and Rotella T6 5w-40 are the easiest off the shelf options for synthetic HDEO. Use whichever is easiest for you to get your hands on.

Neither of the 0w HDEOs are available here. At least they weren't when I was trying to find some last year.

Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 and Rotella T6 5w-40 are the easiest off the shelf options for synthetic HDEO. Use whichever is easiest for you to get your hands on.

T5 10w-30 is going to have similar cold weather cranking ability as T6 5w-40. If they're not racking up miles is the additional cost of T6 going to be justified?

Oil consumption is difficult for fleet vehicles. The best tactic for any fleet manager would be to fix the problem if at all possible - especially if it if your organizations hope to have these vehicles for a longer ROI scenario.

Outside of that, test a given oil consuming vehicle with high mileage oil to see if you can notice a difference in consumption. If you do not see a difference, then do not worry about the extra costs of high mileage oils, and use whatever is in-spec.

Now that's an interesting tidbit of info. No 0w devlac down south.

Thanks Bandito. I'll stop suggesting it to the southern members.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Delo 0W-30 should be available in the US.

TADA!!!!

Perfect. If available.

I am really tempted to try Rotella T6 5w40. I hope it does not do any damage to our vehicles. Since it being a HDEO will it damage the Cats?

The cats will be fine,unless the engine is burning oil in the cylinders and the burnt oil is passing through the catalytic converters.
But if you do have an oil burner the 5w-40 should slow the consumption because its a bit thicker at operating temp.
I tried rotella t-6 in my 4.6 2v mustang for a few intervals. It originally specified a 5w-20 and to be honest I didn't notice any added drag or any negatives at all.
T-6 is a great oil and in your climate,coupled with the operating habits I think a synthetic 40 grade hdeo is a prudent choice to achieve the bi-annual oci you're shooting for.
Keep on top of the pcv valves and I think you've got a winner.
It's too bad a 0w-30/0w-40 hdeo isn't easy to acquire. In your climate they would be ideal.

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 0-30 in everything. Not sure about the 7.5 Ford. Is that a diesel? If not 0-30 in it as well. I would contact Mobil fleet for advise. Here is a link for Mobil Fleet Service.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/Mobil_1_Fleet_Program.aspx

7.5 would be their 460ci gas. 7.3 was their largest diesel motor. And if it were me, I'd run the Rotella. It can be had for relatively cheap, especially when on sale, and is a great oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back