Oil for a new Subaru Outback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a 2012 Subaru Outback with the 2.5i engine, supposed to take 5W-30 either dino or synthetic but once synthetic is in there Subaru says I need to keep it that way. Manual says the break in period is 1000 miles and first oil change is at 3000 miles. My first question is do you think I should change oil after the 1000 mile break in period or just leave it 3000 miles like the manual says? When I got my Corolla back in '05 I went through a whole break in oil change routine, changing it three times in the first 3000 miles. I know that was probably excessive but hey oil isn't expensive for a couple extra changes. That said, someone here may know if Subaru tends to put something special in their oil for the break in period.

Second question is what oil do you guys think I should use? I probably won't go synthetic for the first couple oil changes at least so dino is what I am looking for. Car isn't driven hard, I would call the use moderate. While the manual recommends 7,500 mile OCI I will probably go with 5,000 using dino. Currently my other two vehicles are over 100k miles so I use Valvoline Maxlife in them and don't have complaints. I don't want to use a high mileage oil on this until it's got 75-100k on it. Also, I'm not partial to a specific oil brand. Back in 2004-05 I was on here a lot and there were a couple brands of conventional oil most really seemed to like. That being 7 years ago things may have changed so here I am again. Thanks for the help and let me know if you need more info.

Congrats! Nice vehicle!

I'm at ~4400mi and haven't changed the oil on my 2012 Legacy yet, but intend to soon (no longer than 5Kmi). I have a new blue Subaru filter and some ultra hi-quality $8.99/ 5qt jug Peak 5w30 ready to go!

It's funny Subaru didn't go the oil life monitor route. They're kind of old-school that way for some reason. 3750mi severe, 7500mi normal.

Gotta love their recommended oil viscosity chart in the owner's manual. Pretty much anything that resembles motor oil will do, although the generic 5w30 is recommended.

Joel

I say congrats on the vehicle too. I recently bought a 2012 Subie Forester 2.5x Premium. Non-Turbo Foresters have the FB25 motor. For the FB25 they strongly recommend 0w-20 Synthetic although anything up to 5w-40 can be used in a pinch.

Does the 2012 Outback use the EJ series 2.5 or the FB? Per specs as far as I could find, it looks like the EJ.

Also, to the OP, did you get the 6spd manual or the CVT auto?

It would be nice to have another Sooby CVT owner to compare notes with!

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Does the 2012 Outback use the EJ series 2.5 or the FB? Per specs as far as I could find, it looks like the EJ.

Also, to the OP, did you get the 6spd manual or the CVT auto?

It would be nice to have another Sooby CVT owner to compare notes with!

Joel

It's the EJ25. Only the Forester and Impreza have the FB engine this year-2013 may be different though.

Anyways, the factory calls for the first OCI and 3750 miles, then at 7500 miles, then every 7500 miles from there on out. Unless you're trying to tow with the thing or other funny business, this OCI should be okay.

Synthetic? Sure, absolutely. The NA cars don't seem to care what you put in them really. IMHO, I'd go with the "whats on sale" route.

Originally Posted By: vtmecheng
Just got a 2012 Subaru Outback with the 2.5i engine, supposed to take 5W-30 either dino or synthetic but once synthetic is in there Subaru says I need to keep it that way.

Congrats on the fine automobile.

I wonder what the heck their reasoning is. Has anyone ever asked?

I believe only the forester has the FB engine so far. The 5w30 recommendation confirms it's the EJ. I suspect we'll see it rolled out in the other models soon.

Any 5w30 will do. I currently like M1's 0w30, especially in the winter. However, if this car will see *no* severe service any brand name oil will do.

Congrats on your purchase! I would leave it until 3500miles. My wife and I own a '10 Outback CVT with 33K on the clock. Aside from a few recalls and a defective battery. It has been flawless! Our first O.C. was @ 3750 as per dealers recommendation and 7500 miles there after. My manual states serveral weights/grades of oil. I have used Rotella T6 on a few OC's without any issues. Currently, I'm using Subaru 5W-30 made by Idemitsu, which is a fair price at my local dealer. Between $6-7 per quart. Next change I will be using Kendall GT-1 syn-blend with titanium. Good luck!

Congrats on the vehicle. We have a 2007 Impreza 2.5i (135,000 miles)that is on its third university student. I have put in almost every known oil brand sold. I have used 5W-30. 10W-30, 0W-30 and 5W-40. The car seems to like Trop- Artic and Kendall 5W-30 blends the "best", so I assume Motorcraft 5W-30 would work as well. It gets 5,000 miles OCI's with a variety of oil filters, currently using Subaru blue.

(By "best" I mean combination of mileage, noise and smooth operation)

Originally Posted By: JTK

Gotta love their recommended oil viscosity chart in the owner's manual. Pretty much anything that resembles motor oil will do, although the generic 5w30 is recommended.

Does the manual for your '12 Legacy actually show a chart allowing different viscosities? Pretty sure my '11 WRX just specifies 5w-30 and doesn't have one of those temperature charts that everything used to have.

my 2011 forester manual doesnt say 5w30 or 5w40 are ok.. it says ok to top up. (how I read it) its somewhat ambiguous

Originally Posted By: rationull

Does the manual for your '12 Legacy actually show a chart allowing different viscosities? Pretty sure my '11 WRX just specifies 5w-30 and doesn't have one of those temperature charts that everything used to have.

I just checked it. The Legacy and Outback share the same owner's manual.

It states the engine is designed to use 5w30, but the viscosity chart below the wording shows 5w30 & 5w40 for all temperatures with 10w30 & 10w40 OK for temps ~0degF and above.

Joel

Don't change out the first fill sooner than the company recommends. The very old plan to change engines oil out at a 1,000 or even 2,oo is not necessary, a waste of oil and in some cases may be detrimental if the manufacture uses special assembly lubes or additives. Ed

Last edited:
I'm guessing that the advice that you cannot switch back to conventional after running synthetic is from your dealer and not in your owner's manual. I would wait until at least 3k to change the oil since the factory fill has a more robust additive pack. Folks here have run conventional 5W-30's in n/a EJ engines for over 7,500 miles.

The factory fill oil has a bit higher zinc and moly than even the dealer Subaru/Idemitsu oil.

The chart that folks are referring to was dropped in the begining of the model year for the new Forester and all turbo models. For those that did have the chart, SoA sent out an addendum. It only said "5W-40 conventional" can be used for replenishment, even though it doesn't exist.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: vtmecheng
Just got a 2012 Subaru Outback with the 2.5i engine, supposed to take 5W-30 either dino or synthetic but once synthetic is in there Subaru says I need to keep it that way.

Congrats on the fine automobile.

I wonder what the heck their reasoning is. Has anyone ever asked?

A ford customer service rep said that in a mustang forum I am in. I couldn't believe it.
I asked her since motorcraft makes a synthetic blend that is recommended for their motors should I only pour the top half of the bottle in or the bottom half,or if they had some kind of strainer that will separate the 2,since according to her I can't go back to conventional once I used synthetic

Originally Posted By: Clevy

A ford customer service rep said that in a mustang forum I am in. I couldn't believe it.
I asked her since motorcraft makes a synthetic blend that is recommended for their motors should I only pour the top half of the bottle in or the bottom half,or if they had some kind of strainer that will separate the 2,since according to her I can't go back to conventional once I used synthetic

You're joking me (pigeon English)
lol.gif

vtmecheng,

What oil filter do you plan on using?

I've got a blue Subaru filter on hand to use for my 2012. I realize they're a Honeywell product, but look/feel to be constructed well.

I guess the previous generation (non-Honeywell) imported black OEM filters are discontinued.

Joel

Quote:
but once synthetic is in there Subaru says I need to keep it that way
Can you document where Subaru of America, Inc. said that? Or was it just the good ol' boy at the dealership who has not been trained in oils and engine lubrication? Your dealership is an agent for Subaru of America, but they are not "Subaru."

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Can you document where Subaru of America, Inc. said that? Or was it just the good ol' boy at the dealership who has not been trained in oils and engine lubrication? Your dealership is an agent for Subaru of America, but they are not "Subaru."

It does say it in the 2012 Legacy/Outback manual. Non-turbo engines. Section 12-5:

"If you choose to use synthetic oil, it's recommended you use it for the life of the vehicle."

C'mon though. We BITOGers know better. That's crazy talk.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back