oil for a 2011 6.7 powerstroke with 70k hard miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres the story. Truck is a 2011 F350 long bed crew cab, SRW bought brand new by my former boss in Sept '11. He sadly passed away in March at the age of 25, leaving behind a wife and two infant sons. He owned a marine diesel company, truck was constantly running the roads until his passing, it wasnt uncommon to have a complete 6-71 Detroit, or some other ridiculous weight, in the bed. Truck overheated multiple times on a trip from georgia back to louisiana pulling 18k pounds, which led to him deleting it. I mean, it was ran like a dog before, but once deleted at 40k, (5 inch straight pipe and H&S Mini Maxx) he would leave the mini maxx on the hot setting and run the [censored] out of it. never any trouble, usually got 15W40 Rotella at 9-10k (had to remind him all the time lol) His father in law bought it in March, and it only has 73k miles now. He wants me to do the oil changes and fuel filters,but my question is, he doesnt tow anything( a 16 ft Carolina Skiff) and has a 10 mile round trip to work, and doesnt drive hard AT ALL. So should I go with 15W40, or Rotella T5 10W30, at 6-7k ocis?

I would go for the Rotella T 15W40. Its liable to have fuel dilution because of pollution stuff.

Maybe a UOA when changing oil to see how its going.

If no fuel dilution, then maybe Rotella T6 and go longer.

I would not use a 10W30. either a 5W40 or 15W40.

Last edited:
For the very light loading you're describing now, and if he intends to follow the IOLM, then use any inexpensive CJ-4 approved lube. 10w-30 would be fine, and might return a slight improvement in fuel economy. Being in LA, 15w-40 would work as well. Syns are not needed, and generally a waste, given these operation considerations.

I would presume there is some obvious emotional attachment here; SIL passes, purchase the truck, help out the daughter, etc. OK - I get that. To be honest, using it in the way you describe now, essentially as a short commuter, is probably going to result in it's own set of issues. Driving an F-350 long-bed CC is like driving a school bus. It will be expensive as a daily driver, and a PITB overall for parking, driving, etc in a 10 mile commute. It won't be long, and he'll tire of it, I suspect. Even the maintenance costs (filters, oil, etc) are going to be high, over what a "normal" vehicle would be. If the truck is in good shape, it might be a good idea to trade it and get a vehicle more suited to the type driving the father-in-law is intending on doing. Perhaps a light duty truck 1/2 ton or even (gasp) a sedan?

Last edited:
My 6.7l powerstroke runs great and turns out great uoa's on 10W30. I run Rotella T5 because its easily obtained at my local walmart and parts stores. I just posted a couple uoa's in the uoa section. I am also deleted.

Rotella T5, or even regular Rotella T, in 10w30 would be just fine for that truck. I get regular Rotella T 10w30 in gallon jugs at Rural King.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back