oil filter recs for tracked LS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i just bought a bunch of Mann filters thinking they were quality only to learn the ML series are pretty much garbage. I dont run an oil cooler or any extra oil on my ls1. It sees a weekend of track a month only in the summer and relatively low miles per year, about 3-5k.

What do people recommend for 20 minute sessions on a road course mixed with the daily use in between track days?

Previous 'best' answer would probably have been a K&N due to its thick can and ability to safety-wire it on the car somewhere. It would probably still be a smart choice for that reason, but the guts have recently been cheapened by Champ so it doesn't have too many fans anymore.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I would use AC Delco filters

The new ones have been redesigned for more flow and other criteria.

If you don't want stock filters, then Royal Purple and Fram Racing are options.

Fram racing filters are beefier that a regular filter Don't ask how I know.

Originally Posted By: cool_breeze
So i just bought a bunch of Mann filters thinking they were quality only to learn the ML series are pretty much garbage. I dont run an oil cooler or any extra oil on my ls1. It sees a weekend of track a month only in the summer and relatively low miles per year, about 3-5k.

What do people recommend for 20 minute sessions on a road course mixed with the daily use in between track days?

Run a full synthetic media filter which will have less delta-p across the filter, and therefore ensure the oil filter bypass valve built into the block on the LS engine won't open when at high RPM.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

Ultraguard Gold if available (Ac Delco's performance filter line)

This. Cut them apart and they are almost identical to Mobil 1 filters. I believe they are specced for some of the LS1 Corvette engines. I believe that they have a higher burst strength and synthetic media. If you can't find one for a good price, just buy the readily available Mobil 1 filter.

upf44_primary.jpg

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Previous 'best' answer would probably have been a K&N due to its thick can and ability to safety-wire it on the car somewhere. It would probably still be a smart choice for that reason, but the guts have recently been cheapened by Champ so it doesn't have too many fans anymore.

Not cheapened by Champ. Rather, K&N stopped using Champ as a supplier, and instead outsourced to a Korean company. Champ doesn't make the new ones.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Not cheapened by Champ. Rather, K&N stopped using Champ as a supplier, and instead outsourced to a Korean company. Champ doesn't make the new ones.

Ah, you're right. Thanks for clarifying.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
This. Cut them apart and they are almost identical to Mobil 1 filters. I believe they are specced for some of the LS1 Corvette engines. I believe that they have a higher burst strength and synthetic media. If you can't find one for a good price, just buy the readily available Mobil 1 filter.

Mobil 1 filters have a synthetic/cellulose 'paper' media, not wire-backed synthetic like what the Fram Ultra, Royal Purple, and the like have. Just clarifying.

The original K&N filters (before they went to Korea) were generally understood to be identical internally to the Mobil 1.

upf44_primary.jpg

Are these or the M1 wire backed? They are about the same price on rockauto. Im a racer on a budget so looking for best bang for the buck, not a $20 RP or AMS.

What about Wix XP filters? Seems they are wire backed synthetic media according to their site:
Wire-backed full synthetic media
Made for today's longer OE service intervals
Designed for Full-Synthetic oils

And they're $6 a piece.

upf44_primary.jpg

These are becoming increasingly impossible to find anywhere.

Are they even being manufactured anymore in LSx/GM Gen3 & 4 engine sizes??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: cool_breeze
What about Wix XP filters? Seems they are wire backed synthetic media according to their site:
Wire-backed full synthetic media
Made for today's longer OE service intervals
Designed for Full-Synthetic oils

And they're $6 a piece.

Good filter is you don't mind low efficiency (50% @ 20 microns). For $3 more you can get a full synthetic that is nearly twice as efficient.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

These are becoming increasingly impossible to find anywhere.

Are they even being manufactured anymore in LSx/GM Gen3 & 4 engine sizes??
21.gif

I buy my UPF48R filters on Summit for $7.66 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-upf48r/overview/make/chevrolet
My "new" GM F-Body pan is set-up for the later PF48 instead of a PF46, You can Block the bypass right above the filter, Screw in a 22mm nipple & run a PF48 style filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Good filter is you don't mind low efficiency (50% @ 20 microns). For $3 more you can get a full synthetic that is nearly twice as efficient.

good point, that info is hard to find. ACDelco ultra it is then for the ls1!
BTW whats delta p ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back