Oil filter problem! Napa ProSelect 27712 Subaru..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: clarklawnscape
lets say there are 50 fords to evey 1 subaru on the road, so in the ford case i would use/assume an aftermarket filter will be speced the same,
No so. Ford specs a threaded-end bypass and silicone ADBV for Motorcraft filters. Most other aftermarket filters will have one or the other, but very few have both.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

sw99: Well, this is one of those, "shuts everyone up posts" because it shows some results in way that's hard to ignore or discount. To put it into context, could we know what oil is used and what the operational cycle is for the car?

Jim,

OCI's are 5k minimum with several 6-7K runs on dino. I have used a lot of the forbidden 5w20 Valvoline & ST and 5w30 ST, Mobil 5000, Havoline & PEAK). Personally, I would run 5w20 exclusively if I didn't have over a 100 quarts of 5w30 in the garage. Driving is mixed 60/40 Hwy/City. Hope that helps.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
lets say there are 50 fords to evey 1 subaru on the road, so in the ford case i would use/assume an aftermarket filter will be speced the same,
No so. Ford specs a threaded-end bypass and silicone ADBV for Motorcraft filters. Most other aftermarket filters will have one or the other, but very few have both.

Why are Motorcraft filters made that way? What difference does it make? The filters are made very sturdy. Would a Motorcraft oil filter be a good choice for my Z,as they are made well and are very cheap to buy?

Originally Posted By: Rand
I'm sure its the "gas" thats shortened all arco's cars to lasting 2 years and not the way he drag races them cold in the morning.

My DD are babied during warmup. I forgot you cant use the upper torque peak at 5000 rpm that the engine will self destruct
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JTK

A few weeks ago I bought a case of 12 blue Subaru filters on fleabay for ~$40. They say "Made in USA" on them, but no mention of Honeywell like most I've seen.

Probably because Honeywell doesn't own Fram anymore. Fram and Champ Labs are now owned by a New Zealand firm called the Rank Group.

http://www.rankgroup.co.nz/

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I'd rather have Pure One's on my Toyotas than an "OEM" made in Southeast Asia.

based on what? filtering aspects as speced by the auto maker? or based on location of the factory? or?

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I'd rather have Pure One's on my Toyotas than an "OEM" made in Southeast Asia.

The DENSO-manufactured filters coming out of Thailand are pretty good though. While I haven't had any experience with the ones made specifically for Toyota, DENSO's aftermarket filters (i.e. the ones they call "First Time Fit") are very high quality. See cut open pics here.

Their filtering efficiency is pretty bad (51% @ 20 microns IIRC), based on the Amsoil testing done per ISO standards, and also correlated by river_rat testing.

See chart at bottom of this page:
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx

This is why I stopped using the Toyota (made in Thailand) oil filters and switched to PureOnes on my '05 Tacoma V6.

Also, see the UOA particle count info on the Toyota filter in the first post in this thread.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=846034&page=1

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

My DD are babied during warmup. I forgot you cant use the upper torque peak at 5000 rpm that the engine will self destruct
smile.gif
[/quote]

Hopefully you don't idle the engine during warm up for more than a minute or two....LOL

I like how ARCO claims that certain OEM filters are "too small". I wonder how the in the world he comes to this conclusion.

As far as bad gas unless the gas stations he goes to are really old or not patronized much it is pretty hard to get bad gas anymore, not to mention that EPA is very strict about in ground tanks and if they are rusted or leaking...out they come to be replaced by new ones. A station cannot keep a defective or worn in ground tank in service.

Hummm ... guess I better never rev my engine above the peak torque point. LOL

LOL. I know I'm not all that easy on my Subaru. Maybe that's the problem? All that intense power with the CVT holing you right in the power band blew a hole through the filter media?
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back