Oil Filter for Annual OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAK

I own a 03 Mustang with 23k original miles. It is usually driven now less than 1k a year and I do the annual OCI with either the Mobil 1 or Motorcraft Synthetic Blend oil, 5W20. I have been using the Motorcraft Oil Filter but somewhere on BITOG someone said that a better filter would not degrade as quickly since the OCI is an annual one. I believe he said that either an Amsoil or Royal Purple Oil Filter would be better due to the high quality filter media. What are your thoughts or comments? Thanks in advance for any recommendations or input!

Any decent filter should have no problem lasting 1 year. Thats a very low standard to reach.

If you're getting that oil good and hot when you drive it, you could extend that six months to a year, at least. Probably more, if you really wanted to. But if that makes you nervous, don't change a thing. The filter is fine.

I don't see how you can go wrong sticking with Motorcraft for both your oil and filter. With such low mileage per year why not just extend the OCI to 2 years?

PurONE or Mobil Mobil1 EP if you find it on sale.

Those my go to filters now , no need for ridiculously expensive filter unless you are REALLY trying to milk every last bit which should be around 15-20k mark.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
1 year/1k miles on M1 or MC 5w20 and a MC filter? You're throwing away perfectly good oil and filter.

I agree,you could easily go two even three years on that fill.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
PurONE or Mobil Mobil1 EP if you find it on sale.

Those my go to filters now , no need for ridiculously expensive filter unless you are REALLY trying to milk every last bit which should be around 15-20k mark.

Did you read the OP's post? 1 year, 1000 miles on MC 5w20 and MC oil filter. Putting a PureONE or Mobil 1 EP filter on this car would be a waste

Another 15k miles would take him out to 2028 at this rate!

Originally Posted By: RAK
I own a 03 Mustang with 23k original miles. It is usually driven now less than 1k a year and I do the annual OCI with either the Mobil 1 or Motorcraft Synthetic Blend oil, 5W20. I have been using the Motorcraft Oil Filter but somewhere on BITOG someone said that a better filter would not degrade as quickly since the OCI is an annual one. I believe he said that either an Amsoil or Royal Purple Oil Filter would be better due to the high quality filter media. What are your thoughts or comments? Thanks in advance for any recommendations or input!

The Motorcraft filter is superior to every other filter when you are talking about an "S" application Ford. The start-up protection in cold weather is reason alone to never play with another filter. (Don't take my word for it. Simply search start-up noise - filter - Ford and read the thousands of lines of conclusive proof for yourself).

I know that we have all been trained to factor time into an oil change interval. Time is of minimal concern in your case. Consider the following:

- Porsche allows 24 months (and up to 20,000 miles) on Turbocharged vehicles

- Oil lubricates better when it's old vs new. So, by deduction, the second 12 month / 1000 mile period would be better for your car than the first.

Just give yourself the chance to accept the reality of your situation. When a $100,000 Porsche is 19,500 miles (and 23 months)into its Oil Change Interval and the owner Redline blasts it, for a few hours, is it still fully protected to Porsche's satisfaction? Yes. It is.

You could easily do 3 years / 3000 miles. The only thing is time may be a factor for the filter's Silicon? Perhaps someone could advise you better in that regard.
I'd just do 2 years / 2000 miles with Mobil 1 and a Motorcraft filter. This way you'll know for certain that every single part of that engine will spec out as new, long after everyone reading this post has passed on.

Originally Posted By: RAK

I've got a 2000 gt but I put a 4v in mine. Just keep doing what your doing. Your doing no harm at all.
Before you put er away for winter take it out for a good hour long cruise to evaporate any condensation or fuel amassed in the oil. Your 4.6 engine has proven to be legendary as far as durability,so don't worry too much.
I've got alot of 2v intake parts from bbk,accufab and professional products that I don't need anymore. Pm me if your interested.

Maybe dont bother to take it of until it has atleast 3000 miles? Will save some money and time. Cheapest dino will also easily do 1k miles in one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back