Oil/Filter/Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just returned from a 7,114 mile cross country trip in our 95 Chevy Sportvan, running the same batch of QS Defy 10w30. Oil hit long pull 13,600 mountains, and also 4 hours of stop and go in both Los Angeles and Chicago. Oil isn't overly dark, and I will be sending it in just for reference. It also sealed up a leaky Rear main along the way!

Now for my observation. After about 3-3500 miles, the engine would drain back oil pressure after each shut off. As most engines have a slight knock after a fresh oil change for first start, this was doing it after every restart. Oil pressure when running however was about 45psi, and never fluctuated much. I had a small bucket, and changed just the filter to see if the anti drain back went weak, but....it did not change anything. Is it possible the oil had too much dilution?

How bout lotsa miles/tired motor/running it fairly hard...drive it till it quits
smile.gif

Welcome back, I remember your post a few weeks ago!

You made it there and back without major issues it sounds like? That's good on your vehicle's age.

Indeed No issues! On the way out I used a Baldwin, and on the way back put a Tough Gard on from Walmart.

Has a 350 in it, and as mentioned the knock wasn't there for the first half of miles, just the standard time to build pressure.

Then it was like it took longer to build pressure, and the knock was there for say the first 5 seconds or so. Whether cold, or hot, if I shut it down for say 30 min or longer, its like it had to fully "fill the filter" each time

"As most engines have a slight knock after a fresh oil change for first start,"

Slight knock? Most engines? Not any of my cars, past or present.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
How bout air influx from the leakey rear main?
When the engine is running the crank case in under pressure "remove the oil fill cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back